+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Granite slabs under yer speakers...

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmanuk101 View Post
    I bought two granite chopping boards well a well know 2 queues store which was also similar to a greek ship.

I found under my spiked mission (sand filled) stands they made a little bit of difference, but since my floor is a suspended one it still vibrates even at low volume levels.

I am looking at maybe rubber or cork tiles for under the speakers as I doubt my landlady will allow polymer foam under the floor
    Where suspended floors are concerned there's usually three options: use something far more substantial than a chopping board, say a 1 cwt paving slab (it can be painted gloss black!) and couple the speaker to that with spikes but ISOLATE the slab from the floorboards using something like sorbothane or squidgy closed cell foam. The other option is to cut out a portion of the floorboards and cast a concrete block to the substrate below (extreme but in a dedicated room can work really well) and the final option is to isolate just the speaker using sorbothane under the base, that or foam speaker supports (alternatively make thse by sandwiching polystyrene with rubber (cut up innertubes work well) and closed cell foam, to an overall thickness of about 100mm. I've seen these used to really good effect.

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Where suspended floors are concerned there's usually three options: use something far more substantial than a chopping board, say a 1 cwt paving slab (it can be painted gloss black!) and couple the speaker to that with spikes but ISOLATE the slab from the floorboards using something like sorbothane or squidgy closed cell foam. The other option is to cut out a portion of the floorboards and cast a concrete block to the substrate below (extreme but in a dedicated room can work really well) and the final option is to isolate just the speaker using sorbothane under the base, that or foam speaker supports (alternatively make thse by sandwiching polystyrene with rubber (cut up innertubes work well) and closed cell foam, to an overall thickness of about 100mm. I've seen these used to really good effect.

brilliant thanks the floorboard cutting is not an option, so the paving slabs one is! out of interest where do I get the sorbothane from?
    I can whistle with my fingers, especially if I have a whistle.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmanuk101 View Post
    brilliant thanks the floorboard cutting is not an option, so the paving slabs one is! out of interest where do I get the sorbothane from?
    Try Ebay, lots of sorbothane on there!

I'm Andrew.

I've got loads of sorbothane if you of need some
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I've got loads of sorbothane if you of need some
    oo yes please, how thick is it and is it in sheet form?

thx

can you cut it to be a circle 260mm o.d with a small hole in the middle?

I'm Andrew.

I can get you any thickness you like and yep it comes in sheet form!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678