+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did prog rock really die in 1975 ??

Default Did prog rock really die in 1975 ??

Did prog go underground or die out? My personal opinion is it sort of mutated. ok punk came along and supposedly killed off prog in 76-77. But by 79 we were seeing bands like Magazine, joy division, Japan, yes Japan,( keyboard player now plays in porcupine tree )David silvian has played with bob fripp( king crimson.) Its still there, just evolved. Whats your view ?

Tom.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

The movement (as such) is definitely still there, but by its very nature of being progressive it moves with the times. It may well have moved in the direction of punk but at the same time it broke off into several new forms coinciding with the commercial release of the 'easier to work with' digital synthesiser - itself surely not a coincidence.

i.e. Joy Division became New Order became Electronic (to a degree). That would have been a ground of influence for a massive variety of synth based bands and also an influence over change of direction for more conventional bands to produce a change of style (think Chicago - massive style change over the course of their recording life).

Then there's stuff like The Alan Parsons Project which peaked far later then 1975, a group in its own right but of course still working with mainstays like Pink Floyd and doing a heck of a lot of behind the scenes production on other great outfits.

I'm not sure if I'm right here, but I always felt that Supertramp were a major progressive rock band. They moved so well with the times, utilising new instruments and techniques but always retained their unique elements; multiple changes in tempo, excellent organ hooks, shouting in the background etc etc. They must have had an influence on far more bands than they'll ever receive credit for.

Andre will love this thread!

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Oh man, this makes me want to listen to some Supertramp and Alan Parsons right now - only I'm at work so will have to wait until I get home.

Atacama SE24 stands

You can safley say that record company big wigs killed Prog off. They wanted 3 min catchy pop songs they could air on the radio not long drawn out concept pieces..Example:Yes 'Going For The One'', ELP 'Fanfare For The Common Man' sorry state of affairs if you ask me.Money & America was more important now than actual music..

The bands progressed to a state in the mid '70's that they had lost all of the earlier styles they once had anyway, may it be musical instrument advancement, outside influence what ever,the creativness was gone.Some call it simply progressing, i calling it going to the dogs.I'll pick 1973 as a real turning point for most of what still survived.

The Prog big boys on the block around this time were:YES, ELP, GENESIS, KING CRIMSON, PINK FLOYD (But i like to exclood this band from the others tho).

I do like to stick at 1975 as the definate death of the original prog bands & an obvious turning point.

Many bands have tried keeping prog alive ie: Marillion in the '80's upto the trash you have going these days...What i can't drill into modern so called prog fans is that prog progressed as far as they could/allowed, musical trends set in, the survivers followed suite with trend & ended up being branded a different style music .Example: So called supergraoup ASIA..made up of Carl Palmer (ELP), Steve Howe (YES), John Wetton (King Crimson), Jeoff Downes (YES)...4 respected Prog musician in an AOR band.AOR for christ sake it's a totally American styling soft rock typical of the time.

So called prog these days reminds me of the 1960 movie 'Time Machine'(Being the old prog) Vs re-made 'Time Machine' with Val Kilmner (New Prog..what a joke eh! Example of what's best left alone..

Really glad i have nothing to do with this era.The amount of Prog forums i've been banned from for speaking like this about is un real...I was pretty famous actually if not dreaded.

Here goes then proof in the pud:
    Proper Genesis:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upi6w...eature=related

Here a Joke Genesis (Loosing all street cred big style:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx7ENNe5VhY

Luckly enough i listern the proto/ crossover prog so happy to live before any one this change thing happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzvcGNOjLn0
    Here proper clobber a time when it was all right & dandy..
    Last edited by Vinyl Grinder; 15-02-2008 at 18:26.

Nil Recurring.
    Hear your music, not your speakers

Of course prog is still around... it's just progressed from what is was in the 70s.

Which, to be honest, considering the name, is how it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick O View Post
    Of course prog is still around... it's just progressed from what is was in the 70s.

Rubbish, Bit hard to progress when it died completely in the late '70's...These bands today are made up of knobs that listern to too many old prog albums, fancy themselves as prog musicians but completely lose the plot in the process.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

... it's just progressed from what is was in the 70s.

Indeed, although one would be hard pressed to truly identify a modern prog rock band, do they still exist?

Atacama SE24 stands

Which, to be honest, considering the name, is how it should be.
    Thats pure bollox (Pardon the word)..Do not use Neo prog & prog metal or what ever wanky names they give it, in the same vein as Progressive of yore, if you continue to do so you're way out of your depth.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Couldn't have put it better (or as unreadable) myself, old bean.

Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast