+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6

I'm Alex.

Default Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6

With the discontinuance of Logitech Squeezebox, has anyone tried or considered the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6? The specs seem quite impressive and it has had some positive reviews. Also there is an Android app for the controller for the Nexus 7 tablet

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

It's a constant source of bemusement to me that there have been a huge number of threads, not just here but on the Slim Devices site, starting with the premise "now that the Squeezebox is dead".
    Mine aren't.
    They're both working very well (as they always have), and are likely to do so for many years to come.

If the online services cease to function then that's not a problem - I originally got Squeezebox purely for local file access.

So no, I've not bothered to look at anybody's new box of tricks.
    Is the Cambridge one any good?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    It's a constant source of bemusement to me that there have been a huge number of threads, not just here but on the Slim Devices site, starting with the premise "now that the Squeezebox is dead".
    Mine aren't.
    They're both working very well (as they always have), and are likely to do so for many years to come.

If the online services cease to function then that's not a problem - I originally got Squeezebox purely for local file access.

So no, I've not bothered to look at anybody's new box of tricks.
    Is the Cambridge one any good?
    I have to agree with this. I have 6 SB players (Transporter, Touch, Boom, SB3, 2 Radios), all working well, and using local files 90% of the time. I'm thinking of buying another Touch as a spare in case the Transporter goes belly up, but I'm hoping for many, many more years of use from them.

Logitech's decision to scrap the SB lineup (the UE Smart Radio - sic. - notwithstanding) is not unexpected IMO. When they bought out Slim Devices the writing was already on the wall. The only real surprise is that they kept it going for as long as they have - and launching something as good as the Touch along the way.

The post by Ben Klaas (I think) - an ex SB developer - on the Slim Devices forum is very illuminating about the slow death throws of the SB unit within Logitech. It could all make for a nice case study for students on Business degrees . . .

I'm Will.

Mine aren't.

Absolutely agree Chris, I've a spare touch on the way, and already have a spare receiver...

I think Logitech realised that their market is about to disappear, their revenue is based on the sale of client devices, it won't be long before I can run an SB client (all opensource) on any generic cheap linux based device...and given the number of USB capable DACs one should be able to beat the touch's performance at a much cheaper price point...
    Cheers, Will

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Had a quick look at the Cambridge unit, and I have two questions.
    Can the upsampling be turned off?
    Can the player be accessed and controlled from a web browser?

If the answer to either question is no then the player hasn't even reached the start line.

The web browser access is vital - I detest having to run through clunky counter intuitive menus on a small display, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to think like this.

The Bluetooth connection idea is good - whether they've done as good a job implementing is a Chord Electronics have is a dfferent matter.
    It's just a pity that the Bluetooth connection requires an optional device.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Jerry.

I assume it doesn't display cover art like the Touch otherwise the specification looks good.
    Pity about the price though. Unlike Chris I use the online service a lot so would have to think of an alternative if they abandon internet radio.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Alex.

I currently have a SB3 which I am happy with as I access local files only. Installed an app on my Nexus 7 which allows me to control my music from the NAS/SB3, totally wrapped. I am looking at opinions of the Cambridge in case the SB3 goes belly up. The Naim Unitiqute is $$$$ so out of the equation

I'm Martin.

I also considered the Cambridge Magic 6 but, on my reading of the specification, the only way to get 24/192 is to connect it directly to a PC via USB. My interpretation, and maybe I was wrong, was that it would not do 24/192 on the network connector. Unless you just want to use it as a DAC, and probably most of us would not, it seemed rather pointless. Easier just to connect your PC to your DAC without the Cambridge in the chain.

Someone here suggested the Marantz NA-7004 which does seem to do 24/192 WMA easily enough. It also has a built in AM/FM/DAB tuner which, if it is any good, would enable me to remove my tuner and therefore take up no extra room in the rack.

It has no wifi but you would struggle with hi-res on wifi anyway so that is not a drawback to me.

I'm Nick.

Had a quick look at the Cambridge unit, and I have two questions.
    Can the upsampling be turned off?
    Can the player be accessed and controlled from a web browser?

If the answer to either question is no then the player hasn't even reached the start line.

The web browser access is vital - I detest having to run through clunky counter intuitive menus on a small display, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to think like this.

The Bluetooth connection idea is good - whether they've done as good a job implementing is a Chord Electronics have is a dfferent matter.
    It's just a pity that the Bluetooth connection requires an optional device.
    I don't know about the first question, but you can use the Stream Magic website to manage your presets, podcasts etc, as well as add your own custom urls. This is according to the user manual. I don't have one but I'm tempted to save up for one.

Regards,
    Nick

+ Reply to Thread