+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrocompaniet

I'm Tomas.

I would try to get one for a loan so you can decide on your own as it's quite hard to predict the result based only on other's experience/reviews.

The mentioned lack of speed in electronic guitar music is for me not as important as other factors of this ECI integrated, so I'm very satisfied and think that changing it for quicker amp would bring other drawbacks I may not like

Regarding the power, Electrocompaniet is AFAIK well known for having plenty of it and I can agree on that
    > keep it simple <

I'm Tomas.

I have found that Electrocompaniet equipment could be sorted in two groups - one with warm sound and other with transparent sound.

I would appoint ECI5mk2 into warm group and AW400 into transparent one. I have upgraded from ECI5mk2 to EC4.8 with AW400 NADA mono blocks . The difference is massive, the new setup has more bass grip, speed, transparency. Still it have very natural Electrocompaniet sound
    > keep it simple <

I'm Paul.

If you want big and muscular without paying a fortune, there's a multitude to try. The fully Net Audio modded Quad 405/2 is great bang for the buck providing speaker loads aren't too demanding (it was conceived originally for the ESLs). Others I've tried which had battleship build quality and really decent sound were the Plinius P10 power amp and Primare i30 integrated. Of the two, the Plinius was more detailed but never bright or harsh and had the more pleasing balance. Both can be had for reasonable money used. Also great as a used buy would be something like the Simaudio Moon i1.1 (or anything from their range!).

As Jerry infers, if it's a break from valves you need, then perhaps it's just a break from your valve amp and a look at other valve amps? For muscular, some of the big Macs provide this (at a cost) although with some lack of refinement. EAR manage to present neutrality with real muscle which totally belies their rated power output. The original 519 series are in this vein and whilst hard to get hold of do come up for reasonable money, and being EAR, are a doddle to service and replace parts. I'd throw Jolida's JD801 into the affordable muscle valve amp category too but without sounding warm or laid back.

I'm Julian.

Thanks for the replies chaps - I actually started this thread a year ago and had completely forgotten about it!

Turns out I didn't need a break from valves at all! Moving from an Audio Note valve pre / Quad 405-2 to my Consonance hybrid integrated last October sorted out all the issues I was having with the music. It's a very powerful, dynamic performer which gives me the treble detail I was missing with the Quad without being harsh or abrasive in any way. It also works superbly with the CJ valve phono stage. Couldn't be happier with the balance of the system at the moment ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Geoff.

Hi Julian, you didn't say what your budget was for this or if you want new or second hand.

You could do a lot worse than try the Monarchy Audio SM-70 or SM-70 Pro. I have both and they sound great, rather similar to earlier Krell amps and these too are pure Class A, they are every bit as good in their own way as any valve amp I've owned. They're stunning value for money and really have to be heard to appreciate what they can do.

As for the Electrocompaniet amps, I've heard some of the older models and always thought they sounded excellent.

Another make I'd be looking at is Lavardin, not that easy to track down used, but very fine sounding!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Julian.

Hi Geoff, thanks for the suggestions but I actually don't want to buy another amp - the thread has been resurrected from a year ago!!

I ended up with my Consonance amp and as I said in the previous post, I am delighted with it ...

Would love to hear your Monarchys though - must get that session organised sometime!
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Geoff.

I hadn't realised the OP was that old.

A listening session would be good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12