+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody have the Funk Firm FX-1200 arm?

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

What i meant was,a tonearm with a higher mass than the technics,may be of benifit.

You may be better off asking a more experienced member regarding this though.I'm a little unsure wether adding more mass,at the headshell end is enough to get an ideal match,or if the overall mass of the tonearm would be better.

Can someone help me out with this please?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

A Jelco SA-750 would be fine, in terms of effective mass, for a DV20X, as would a Funk Firm FX-1200.

The advantage of the latter (apart from it being overall a better tonearm) is that Arthur could tailor the effective mass of the arm, in order to optimise it with the cartridge of your choice, simply by raising the mass of the armtube and/or its headshell.

As for an answer, Nick, to your opening question, I'd say a big YES! More people should show interest in trying this arm, as in my view (although I haven't actually used it) it has all the makings of being a superb design. After all, the (highly acclaimed) FX-R uses a Rega arm as its donor for parts, so why shouldn't the Technics arm work equally as well as a donor, for the FX-1200?

Arthur cleverly addresses the fundamental weaknesses in both the Rega and Technics arms, as being caused by their somewhat resonant armtubes, and fixes it by replacing them with essentially a carbon-fibre one, which incidentally, is not a cheap item to manufacture, commercially.

Quite simply, if the FX-1200 had been around when I first got my Techy and messed around with rewiring and fluid-damping the stock arm, I'd definitely have given it a go!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nick.

Thanks Marco for your answer to my original question - interesting also to hear that you haven't tried the fx1200 out either, as a previous poster thought you may have done.
    But I am definitely going to check it out before I make any decisions - hopefully I will have the chance to try out a fully Funk Firm modded Techie in the next couple of weeks, so I will post my impressions here when/if that happens.
    As you mentioned about re-wiring and damping the stock arm,Marco, it did strike me that the fx1200 upgrade will also not be damped, as it only replaces the head/arm/cables and uses the stock Techie arm mount... I wonder if it would also benefit from damping, eg with the KAB system?
    Would be great also to use Yannis's Gaia phono cable on the fx1200 - I didn't ask the FF what they use for their external phono cables, but I imagine the silver cables must be an upgrade?

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    I've just bagged myself a copy of Scientist Meets The Space Invaders Been after this for awhile but prices have been quite high,but they have seemed to have dropped abit now.
    Just seen a copy of this go for £45 delivered on ebay

Got my original pressing for £21 delivered including a clean on a keith monks rcm

Patience is a virtue!!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Nick.

That's an excellent price m8 - nice one.

I haunted eBay for a while, passing on a few auctions until I managed to bag my copy of Scientist/Vampires for £28 which I was pretty proud of at the time, considering they go for 40+... beautiful copy too.

Mind you I have also been stung for some rare dub vinyl in my time, so swings and roundabouts....

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, would be interested to read your top 10 best-dub-on-vinyl list...or should we start another thread somewhere else?

I'm James.

I've almost finished making my own, apologies for the image quality. TBC

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Wow, James - that looks superb!

Tell us how you went about making it, then - and how far is it off from you listening to it?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Wow, James - that looks superb!

Tell us how you went about making it, then - and how far is it off from you listening to it?

Marco.
    Ditto !!!

I'm Nick.

...aaaand the thread is back on track!

Very nice work m8 ... Hope you will post us a report when it's ready!!!

I'm James.

Cheers guys. I bought a tatty donor sl1210 to mess around with some of the parts, but when I got the deck home I noticed the armtube was bent. I considered buying a replacement Technics armtube, then realised I could go carbon for not much more, kerching!

Currently it doesn't have the same cross section as the FXR armtube, I'll play around with this at some point, but otherwise it's pretty similar. I didn't really want to copy the headshell area, it's just the geometry needed to get the job done results in something very Funkesque.

It's virtually finished, just need to sort the rest of the deck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast