View Poll Results: Can cable dressing and using well-designed supports make a notable difference?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • According to my experience it brings notable benefits at least in some areas

17 68.00%
  • According to my experience to date there are no significant benefits.

2 8.00%
  • It's all foo and I'm just not going to go there!

1 4.00%
  • I have no experience of this but I'm open-minded and willing to experiment.

5 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Addressing the issue of microphony

Default Addressing the issue of microphony

I'd like to find out the general opinion of forum members on this. Do you believe there is anything to be gained from addressing microphony issues, i.e. attempting to reduce vibrations entering your kit?

I'm looking for some truly candid responses here both in the poll and any further commentary.

I'm Nick.

I have no experience of this but I'm open-minded and willing to experiment.
    I feel that my system has a long way to go before the affects of microphony, supports and cables are likely to have an audible affect. But once sources, amplification and speakers are sorted to a certain level microphony, supports and cables are going to have a more perceptible affect on the end result... and that's when tweaking and experimenting with them is likely to pay dividends.

I'd be interested in whether advocates of supports and cable dressings feel that the affects of good practice in this area will have an affect regardless of the resolution of the other system building blocks...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ILOB.

ahh depends!!!
    For instance on my power amp it tightens up the bass I use the feet of silence underneath Recently when Vic came around he asked me if those really work I said lets see, I then put on a track listened to it then removed it and listened again the music had lost some of its impact, this became more imparent when we put the feet back underneath the bass became tighter
    When I had EAR 864 preamp using the biggest Cardas blocks to isolate had a big impact on sounstage I then tried this trick on everything else thinking it would make a difference but apart from my power amp I found Isolation made no difference
    Items like tube damper rings can make a difference too but again the results are varied too, tried in the power amp makes no difference at some point I see if it makes a difference to my preamp yet many people report a big improvement when using tube dampers
    Last edited by John; 07-02-2009 at 07:25.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm ChrisB.

I can tell what your answer would be from the way you constructed the poll.
    There's something missing.............

What about adding 'According to my experience it brings about some improvements'??

.............No?

I'm gone.

heh heh - the poll options are a bit extreme - either night&day or none-at-all!

As such, I've plumped for none-at-all. Although I agree with John, really - "aah - depends!!!"

I've tried various stands and stuff, and support tweaks (my 'hifi drawers' are brimming with pucks & cones & spikes & pads and things!! ) - some can make a difference, depending on the context. But not night&day, and not none-at-all.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I can tell what your answer would be from the way you constructed the poll.
    There's something missing.............

What about adding 'According to my experience it brings about some improvements'??

.............No?
    Indeed. Steve, I think you should edit the poll accordingly

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

I've not read every post but has anyone actually said that microphony doesn't exist or not matter? Clearly it does matter but the dispute is over where it matters. If you are serious about this then placing your amp (especially any with valves) and TT outside your listening room is a must. If you want to go to the max then do this for starters. Then attend to the small stuff.

I'm gone.

Interesting, Clive

But you do then get the trade off between cable length and microphony affecting the sound in different ways and to different degrees ... not to mention the cost of 'audiophile' cables that long!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Interesting, Clive

But you do then get the trade off between cable length and microphony affecting the sound in different ways and to different degrees ... not to mention the cost of 'audiophile' cables that long!
    It depends on your situation. I run the air pump for my arm in the next room, it's just the other side of a single brick wall. If I did the same with my TT and line-level electronics I could do this with the cables I already have.

I'm gone.

Ah - Yes, OK. Sadly, I have only 1 hifi room, not 2!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast