View Poll Results: Can cable dressing and using well-designed supports make a notable difference?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • According to my experience it brings notable benefits at least in some areas

17 68.00%
  • According to my experience to date there are no significant benefits.

2 8.00%
  • It's all foo and I'm just not going to go there!

1 4.00%
  • I have no experience of this but I'm open-minded and willing to experiment.

5 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Addressing the issue of microphony

Snoopdog,

Is that a Music Works ReJig I see in the third picture down?

What is that sitting on top of it?

Also, that's some serious hi-fi rack you've got going on there. It looks like it has been designed to do the job!

Everything Matters (or nothing makes a difference)

Last year, back in March I went to Coherent Systems to audition the Bel Canto CD2, the Puresound A30 valve amplifier, different Focal speakers and a range of Coherent cables. For comparison purposes I brought my own cables - Music Works Recoil leads, Siltech SQ 28 interconnects and Chord Epic Twin speaker cable. For the same reason I also brought the Linn Majik CD player and Spectral DMC-15 preamplifier I had at the time.

The kit was placed on Townshend racks.

Tony tried to demonstrate his range of cables to me including mains leads, interconnects and speaker cables but the sound continued to be 2-dimensional and rather harsh at the top end. None of the cable swaps seemed to any difference at all.

At this point it would have been easy to conclude that cables make no difference because in this instance they clearly did not.

I was already a cable believer by this time and I was not prepared just to sweep away all previous experience in light of no differences now being heard. Instead I was rather puzzled but thought that the system wasn't exactly sounding right to begin with. The harshness at the top end was clearly masking a lot of information both in the music and in the system setup. What was effectively distortion masked harmonics and natural decay of notes as well as denying the listener the requisite high frequency info to perceive imaging and space between instruments.

It was a case of finding the bottleneck which, it turns out, was the Spectral preamp not liking to be placed on the glass shelves of the Townsend rack. A few sets of Black Ravioli pads were placed under the pre and immediately the top end harshness disappeared and all the info masked behind this distortion just opened up.

Now every cable swap was clearly audible as was the benefit of placing Black Ravioli under each and every component in the system and the Bel Canto CD player was now demonstrably superior to the Linn player in every respect.

So, those of you not detecting differences at all in your experiments should perhaps investigate any potential bottlenecks before reaching any (hasty) conclusions. This applies to isolation methods as well as to the use of different cables.

The Black Ravioi themselves seem to work exceptionally well in conjunction with Townshend racks They also work under the Bel Canto on the acrylic QS Ref stand but the difference is less marked. Some may even feel that the more subtle change isn't even an improvement. I personally feel that it is for the perceived loss of dynamics to my perception is just a loss of stridency and a gain in refinement. Dynamic contrasts remain intact or are even slightly enhanced in my opinion.

I'm Steve.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    Snoopdog,

Is that a Music Works ReJig I see in the third picture down?

What is that sitting on top of it?

Also, that's some serious hi-fi rack you've got going on there. It looks like it has been designed to do the job!
    Hi Steve,

I bought those cheap plastic shop display stands from Clarkes shoe shop for £10. They told me they had supplied a load to a guy called Larry up Cheshire way somewhere and he sells them for hi fi use but adds a zero to the price

They support the network boxes for the MIT Magnum MA speaker cables I use.

The very fine equipment rack is the Stillpoints ESS 405, but not the uber-expensive latest incarnation which has Stillpoints built into each individual shelf.

I have recently reduced my box count by having the upgrade MC/MM phono stage fitted to my Karan KA-L Reference MK II preamp and the top shelf of the stand now awaits the arrival of a new turntable/arm/cartridge

Steve

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I bought those cheap plastic shop display stands from Clarkes shoe shop for £10. They told me they had supplied a load to a guy called Larry up Cheshire way somewhere and he sells them for hi fi use but adds a zero to the price
    Brilliant!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

So, those of you not detecting differences at all in your experiments should perhaps investigate any potential bottlenecks before reaching any (hasty) conclusions. This applies to isolation methods as well as to the use of different cables.
    Exactly, Steve. The problem is that some people just aren't willing to be thorough and 'go the extra mile' with these things - they arrive at definitive conclusions all too quickly and then seem to set their opinions in stone for life. You'll never learn anything new that way (or perhaps anything at all) which could be beneficial, but then perhaps some folk just aren't interested in that? We're back to comfort zones again, or maybe some people are just more easily pleased than others...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Peter.

It all makes a difference, even the abscence or presence of net curtains in front of windows! (Don't know if the same applies for a mac )
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.