Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Nick.

Mike - bloody annoying on the eBay thing, and on top of everything else. I would seriously initiate the Unpaid Item process on eBay. You can only do this after 1 week has passed, but like I said yesterday, it's as easy to pay as it is to hit the Buy It Now button. You're definitely being messed around, particularly if you are getting nothing back from the guy.

I would leave it a couple of days, and then drop him another line saying that you are assuming that by not responding to your messages his intention is not to pay. Advise him that you intend on initiating the Unpaid Item process if payment is not received within x days (7 from the end of the auction). One final note the night before that day is up, and then do it. Otherwise you will be liable for both the final value fee and relisting costs, if you decide to relist.

We've had a lot of eBay experience, both buying and selling. If you need any other advice just let me know.

And good luck
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Homar View Post
    Hmmm... well pulling the arm apart and doing a re-wire wouldn't scare me too much. If that would do the trick I'd probably be happy to live with it for the rest of the year or so... but a better arm would certainly be on the cards in the long run.

Thing is... whats this 'titanium' thing all about then?

I've a suspicion that it's just hype TBH, possibly some bits are 'titanium coloured' but there's no actual performance advantage. But thats just a gut feeling, I'd be happy to be proved wrong!... Anyone?
    To be honest, I've never been 100% sure about that one - short of having the arm material tested and then comparing the performance of the full arm to an 'ordinary' one, we'll never know...

I do know though that the effect of the OFC wiring and high quality interconnects of the MK5 is significant, and that in terms of fit and finish it oozes class in a way that the MK2 only hints at, but if you're going to rewire the arm yourself then in terms of pure SPPV the MK2 is the better buy, and then you can spend the rest of the money further upgrading it with fluid damping, etc, or invest in a Jelco. Personally, having heard both options, I'd go for the latter

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Personally, having heard both options, I'd go for the latter
    Well, you see... there's another conundrum, I'd like both!... I'd also be happy with a 5G, for the nice 'finish' and re-wire the tonearm. Errr... am I digging myself a hole here ?
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

LOL, not really. I bought the MK5G mainly for the way it looked (the 'titanium' arm thing was also a factor, but one of secondary importance) - and that was from comparing pictures on a DJ store website.

In the flesh, when you see both decks side by side, the difference is even more pronounced! So I would fully understand you going for a MK5G and then upgrading the arm at a later stage, as long as you can still afford to get a Time Step PSU - it's effect is far too significant to blow all your budget on the MK5 and then be left with a much inferior sounding T/T, despite it looking nicer, unless you could live with it until such times as you can afford the PSU and arm upgrade...

I guess there's only one way to find out!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I guess there's only one way to find out!
    Yeah... buy another LP12!

Or a PL-71
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

LOL... If you do the former, I'll shoot you myself!

I've no idea how good the Pioneer is, but I hope to find out at the Wigwam show - that is if Richard doesn't chicken out of bringing it

Only kidding, Richy boy!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm InSpace.

Seriously though... I am pretty lost ATM.

My 'tecchy plans' are feeling a bit tainted. Much thinking is on the cards...
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Phone me and we can have a chat about it

Marco.
    Main System

I'm InSpace.

No way!....

You'll only poison my mind!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.