+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you purchase an Mdac after reading PF forum.

I'm Simon.

You do the sensible thing. You have it made at two separate factories and assemble locally. never give one vendor the full design.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I tried that and the two parts did not fit together. Neither would either of them accept blame for the mismatch.

I'm Paul.

You really have to make it yourself from verified materials sources. Ok it will be more expensive than the imported goods but at least it should meet your required specification and give you confidence in your products. It’s about time we reinstated our country’s engineering base.
    Paul Hynes Design
    paulhynesdesign.com
    High Performance Power Supply upgrades
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16655

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hynes View Post
    It’s about time we reinstated our country’s engineering base.
    +1

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hynes View Post
    You really have to make it yourself from verified materials sources. Ok it will be more expensive than the imported goods but at least it should meet your required specification and give you confidence in your products. It’s about time we reinstated our country’s engineering base.
    Precisely. The cost difference is getting less as Chinese labour costs rise. I don't think a premium of say £200 on something in this price range is unacceptable to provide superior quality and reliability. I think most consumers would pay the extra for British made and branded product. The cost of Audiolab is now approaching the prices of the last UK made TAG/Mclaren products any way.

It is slowly happening. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19510040 Raspberry PI is doing just that. I am thinking of building one into a DAC once I can figure out the software end of things.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I am thinking of building one into a DAC once I can figure out the software end of things.
    What a fantastic idea Stan, a one box solution for streaming, that should prove very popular around here - especially with the demise of the SB Touch
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Not so loud Tim .

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    What a fantastic idea Stan, a one box solution for streaming, that should prove very popular around here - especially with the demise of the SB Touch
    ...particularly if it could run a software SB player, eg. squeezeplay on android, or the other linux options...the ultimate SB receiver... controllable from a phone...doh! sorry Stan ...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Paul.

Default audiolab m-dac - no issues

Hi,

I have the Audiolab M-DAC, just a short few weeks now. I have upgraded the firmware to the new LAKE WEST va.08 version.

Did not upgrade due to issues, simply to grab the nifty new features the firmware provides over the original firmware. The upgrade worked like a charm, as have the new features which simplify use of the DAC and make it a much more versatile device.

I have browsed through the articles on pinkfish that are referenced here, but unless I am missing something I don't see what the fuss is about. I see some complaints from a user about some dropouts connecting the device to an optical output that comes from a TV. Not sure why anyone would want to run the output from a TV into the DAC though. Garbage in and garbage out....

As for the long term quality of the M-DAC, that is anyone's guess, the same as pretty much any new design. However, the designers and build team are pretty knowledgeable long term hi-fi manufacturers. For the fact that it is built in China, that in itself for me is a non-issue. Many of the leading hi-fi brands have factories in China now. It's pretty standard.

Maybe not a part of this thread, but as for the sound quality of the M-DAC, I have heard some say it is "bright". That is true in the first few weeks. After that, it really smooths out. The highs are clear with no brightness, and the bass very solid and layered. I've heard that it "lacks bass". That would be a system matching problem, not a characteristic of the DAC.

I had the Rega DAC on loan for 5 weeks from my dealer while I waited for the M-DAC. After 5 weeks, I just could not get the Rega DAC to work in my system. It is "musical" and a good DAC, but a little too thick sounding for my tastes. The M-DAC really trumps it in separation and dynamics and "air". As for brightness, the M-DAC after 3 weeks has cleaner highs and mids than did the Rega after 5 weeks, and much better quality bass. As deep as the Rega in the bass frequencies, but with better definition. In my system the Rega DAC also had some grunge and grain I just could not get rid of, and could not tolerate.

However, both are good DACs and it often comes down to system matching for those of us who are in this price bracket.

One tip for M-DAC users. Make sure the shelf/stand you have under the M-DAC is very solid/dense with good isolation. If your shelf is light or fragile or such, then the M-DAC will pick up on this and the highs may sound bright. The casework is on the light side, and susceptible to vibration. The Rega DAC is less susceptible to this as it's casework is more solid, but it also (in my system) had that graininess that I could not eliminate.

After some experimentation with the existing platforms and isolation devices I have in my system, it has really hit the sweet spot. My system has never sounded so good, and I am listening to as much digital as I am vinyl now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast