+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are equipment racks tuned to certain Hz? - PLEASE DISCUSS

I'm Andrew.

Thats why Marco's setup looks like the shard in London
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm ChrisB.

Are you planning on putting your 'doorstep turntable' on this structure we're discussing, Andrew?
    If so, I'd think anything homemade & inflatable would be out as you need to get a TT level. Inflatable stuff has trouble coping with an asymmetrical centre of gravity.

I'm Andrew.

the plinth is going to a stone mason that can level the stone and additionally cut the stone to fit the 301 (when it comes back from Dom's). I will have another piece of stone left over so I'm wondering whether to use this as a base and then have the actual plinth (which is 75mm thick) sitting on 4 massive pieces of EVA which will then sit on the base. So, it should be a two-tier plinth, total weight is over 80kg. I'm just wondering what to use as "feet", hence my idea for springs. The only idea's I have are four large bearings fitted into the plinth or to have four spikes machines for insertion into the plinth. I'm still no further forward Any ideas would really really be helpful.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Aren't you killing the harmonics that go towards making the 301's distinctive musical projection? It's like taking a Stradivarius apart and replacing the woodwork. It might have some recognizable features at the end of the day, but it will never sound the same as the genuine article.

I'm Andrew.

I'm not sure! Can you expand a little as to how the plinth will "kill" the 301, lots of people have them mounted in granite and they love the results. Additionally, which characteristics do you think i'll end up loosing?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

The housing in which a turntable mechanism sits contributes towards the sound that you hear. I reckon it's the harmonics of the vibration exerted on the plinth. My views on this were shaped after hearing first an LP12 mechanism that was inserted into a new plinth made from a different wood to the original. Later on a heard the SP10 in an original Technics plinth and also in some plinths made by individuals.
    On a sprung deck like the 301 the isolating springs interact with the cavity and housing in some ways. If you change the housing you also change the interaction. And with that you'll change the dynamics of the minute vibrations that the platter and arm assembly undergoes and that is ultimately transferred to the stylus. Don't forget that a turntable is a device that converts mechanical movement into an electrical signal. If you modify the mechanical movement in any way you'll also be modifying the electrical signal.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Are you planning on putting your 'doorstep turntable' on this structure we're discussing, Andrew?
    If so, I'd think anything homemade & inflatable would be out as you need to get a TT level. Inflatable stuff has trouble coping with an asymmetrical centre of gravity.
    You could use 2 tubes, and inflate each to suit. However I found they are more useful under my speakers.

MartinT Guest

My resprung Solid Tech Radius Duo, with all the equipment on it (about 100kg), oscillates at around 3Hz. I find the isolation from footfalls is very impressive and the sound quality very much better than without the springs.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    On a sprung deck like the 301
    It isn't a sprung deck
    Garrard used to bung 'em into a concrete plinth to check 'em out.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    The housing in which a turntable mechanism sits contributes towards the sound that you hear. I reckon it's the harmonics of the vibration exerted on the plinth. My views on this were shaped after hearing first an LP12 mechanism that was inserted into a new plinth made from a different wood to the original. Later on a heard the SP10 in an original Technics plinth and also in some plinths made by individuals.
    On a sprung deck like the 301 the isolating springs interact with the cavity and housing in some ways. If you change the housing you also change the interaction. And with that you'll change the dynamics of the minute vibrations that the platter and arm assembly undergoes and that is ultimately transferred to the stylus. Don't forget that a turntable is a device that converts mechanical movement into an electrical signal. If you modify the mechanical movement in any way you'll also be modifying the electrical signal.
    The LP12 and other suspended subchassis decks are far more susceptible to having the dynamics "sucked out" by heavy supports and plinths, as the drive components contribute (or "colour" if you will) the presentation. It's where "PRaT" comes fron (though some would say it comes from Ivor...)

Idler decks are a different breed, and while you are correct that changing the plinth changes the interactions of motor, platter/bearing and arm, it is a challenge to figure out what is right, as the decks were never originally "voiced" to any particular plinth type. In fact, factory plinths for the 301 and 401 were usually simple resonant boxes, with no consideration for those issues.

The goal of massive plinths for idlers is to remove the interaction of the drive system as much as possible from interaction with the stylus.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast