+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lights out for incandescent bulbs

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    The ''energy saving'' bulbs don't give a very good light in my experience. Bring back PROPER bulbs!
    + 2

Even good ones are crap imho and experience
    Regards Neil

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    + 2

Even good ones are crap imho and experience
    I've never noticed it and my house is full of them.... mind you, I'm so tight I hardly ever turn them on. Even the energy saving ones!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I have been using the Philips range of LED bulbs and they seem quite good. The best ones are the Philips 9W LEDs peer shaped bulbs. The 12W refuses to work properly on any of my electronic dimmers. I haven't tried the 17W version yet due to cost.
    The main problem is the 2700 degree Kelvin colour range. 3200 degrees would have been better I reckon.

I'm Richard.

This was an interesting read-http://sound.westhost.com/articles/incandescent.htm#led
    I won't have CFLs in the house. Apart from the usual complaints, they give me a headache, always have. I use "low energy" halogens, the light suits me.
    I read an article recently, maybe in New Scientist, with evidence to suggest that blue (morning) light, such as CFLs and current LEDs, stops us getting to sleep at night, TV watching the same. Evening light is redder, and we are programmed to get sleepy with red, and awake with blue light. Dimmers can help here, especially if the light reddens as it dims.

I'm Geoff.

Incandescent bulbs of wattages that are supposedly banned for retail, are I believe available for commercial purposes and it would not surprise me if this type of bulb continues to be sold as industrial items.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    I read an article recently, maybe in New Scientist, with evidence to suggest that blue (morning) light, such as CFLs and current LEDs, stops us getting to sleep at night, TV watching the same. Evening light is redder, and we are programmed to get sleepy with red, and awake with blue light.
    I only got CFLs in the loft. The rest of the house have LEDs and no problems falling asleep here. Not even with my LED TV on. Just as well the TV had a standby timer.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I only got CFLs in the loft. The rest of the house have LEDs and no problems falling asleep here. Not even with my LED TV on. Just as well the TV had a standby timer.
    That's probably 'cos you're old! (That's my excuse)

I'm Dave.

I have enough 100w bulbs stockpiled to see me through this life...

Those energy abominations things are shite...!!! and I refuse to use them.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
    I have enough 100w bulbs stockpiled to see me through this life...
    Well done, I've got enough too!

Quote Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
    Those energy abominations things are shite...!!!
    Absolutely!! Forced on us by cretinous authority.

I'm Bob.

Not sure whether the policy is meant to reduce power demand, cut off the suppliers outside the EU to boost home production, or simply some bureaucratic sop to the green parties in europe.
    I recall from some time ago that the startup power for tubes was huge by comparison with running power, not sure whether that applies to the compact form.
    Having used CFs for many years in specific areas where light is required almost 24 hours, I got used to the peculiar and underpowered light, but was never happy with them in a domestic setting.
    Will continue to get halogens for that purpose until they are inevitably outlawed, and will look into these LED thingys....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast