+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lights out for incandescent bulbs

Default Lights out for incandescent bulbs

After more than a century lighting up the world, the switch will be flicked off across the EU for the final time on incandescent bulbs on Saturday as the phased ban on their sale is completed.

From 1 September, an EU directive aimed at reducing the energy use of lighting means that retailers will no longer be allowed to sell 40W and 25W incandescent bulbs. Similar bans came into effect for 60W and 100W incandescent bulbs over the past three years.

I switched to CFL and then to mainly LED in the last 5 years. It was an expensive operation but I have not had to climb up any ladder to replace a single bulb in the last three years. Long may that continue.

I'm Adam.

I am still using proper light bulbs and intend to continue doing so for as long as I can. Our new house that we moved into in April has quite a few of these energy saving abominations fitted, but I'm gradually replacing them!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm John.

The ''energy saving'' bulbs don't give a very good light in my experience. Bring back PROPER bulbs!

I'm Martin.

We're fitting mostly LED lights in our new bathroom installations now. If you buy the decent ones, they give very good light output and are very reliable.

Not so good for lounges, but perfect for bathrooms and kitchens.
    Martin

Source: Sonos CONNECT DAC: Rega DAC Amp: Rega Brio-R Speakers: Neat Motive 2.

My system photos

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    The ''energy saving'' bulbs don't give a very good light in my experience. Bring back PROPER bulbs!
    +1
    Paul

Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinh View Post
    We're fitting mostly LED lights in our new bathroom installations now. If you buy the decent ones, they give very good light output and are very reliable.

Not so good for lounges, but perfect for bathrooms and kitchens.

Are LED lights brighter than the equivalent ''energy saver'' bulbs? And how much are they for, say, a 60 watt bulb.

I'm Jerry.

I am with Stan on this one. Tungsten lamps are grossly inefficient and should have gone years ago. I use a mixture of compact fluorescent and LED bulbs. Pick the correct temperature rating and think about the fitting. For example, in my living room I don't have a ceiling pendant but have six wall lights plus table lamps.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Simon.

Yeh, but incandescent bulbs spit virtually nothing back into the mains, the same cannot be said of CF.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm InSpace.

Just use thoriated tungsten valves... sorted!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Rough service bulbs will still be available, those have not been banned

Personally I still use incandescents at a few critical points in the house where full illumination is needed immediately. Such as on the stairs
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast