+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the art of sound?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    Marco,

I'm still not comfortable with these undefined notions of realism and accuracy.
    LOL. Undefined and not comfortable? Well go and wrap yourself in a duvet, darling; I don't think I could have defined them any more clearly!

Anyway, I think we've both had our say so perhaps we should step back now and allow our members to define their 'Art of Sound'?

Del (Artist) raised some interesting points which I will address later. However, as you know, I have a very busy day ahead with bits of paper

Jim,

I know you cats are down.
    Man, don't ya just love Americans!

Rob,

Excellent post!

Laters,

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by jimdgoulding View Post
    If the event is recorded right and reproduced right...
    That my friend is the real crux of hi-fi. If the guy sitting at the mixing desk has his head screwed on and his mind in the right place, the resulting sound will be excellent on any system and frankly outstanding on anything approaching hi-fi.

On the other hand, if he has fists of ham and ears of cloth then no hi-fi will ever be able to 'make' it sound good - quite the opposite in fact, I've found the better the hi-fi the worse a poor recording will sound.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

You know your Art of Sound is working for you when you find yourself spinning lots of discs and spend many hours listening to them.

I mainly enjoy it as it sounds more 'cultured' and refined (yup, for a Naim rig!), and also i actually more so now don't listen to the hifi - more what is being played.
    Naim gear has traditionally excelled in areas of musical reproduction that I hold dear. More recent Naim does sound more cultured and refined.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post

3) Detail retrieval. You want to extract the last tiny little drop of detail embedded in those silver or black discs.

4) You want to listen to your system all day long without experiencing listener fatigue. For you tonal accuracy, low coloration and distortion are very important.
    Um. Of absolute importance to me is silky smooth listening without any fatigue at all. CD are totally out, i hate everything about them .I do need detail retrieval but not in your face. All needs to be laid back (Like listening to music in a dream). Large speakers that give deep gut wrenching bass response are important, as i listen to a lot of organ based material which does reach down to the bowels of the earth at times (Speakers permitting)...Vintage Amplification/speaker of choice give me everything i want (Lot of vintage TT's are suspect tho, prefer a modern turntable & cartridge & tube phonostage)...Don't get me wrong i don't just fit in off the shelf vintage gear, a lot of extensive re-building & modification is at play before hand without loosing too much of the original products sound signature. I'm not one for the more modern pin point accuracy etc sound.Sorry if i kinda included 'System Synergy' topic in with this (Just realised).
    Last edited by Vinyl Grinder; 30-01-2008 at 13:53.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, mate. A lot of qualities that you value are also important to me

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Sorry if i kinda included 'System Synergy' topic in with this (Just realised).
    No probs. The two are kinda connected anyway.

My last post Should have said (Like listening to music in a dream). Sorry too late to edit..

**Edited for you by Filterlab.**

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl Grinder View Post
    My last post Should have said (Like listening to music in a dream). Sorry too late to edit..

**Edited for you by Filterlab.**
    Cheers Rob..

Perhaps the Art of Sound is the ability to transform previously unlistenable music into beautiful toe-tapping stuff.
    The problem is you will probably have to bin all your previous favourites.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast