+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: What is the art of sound?

I'm ILOB.

Well I think if the toneality seems right our brains tend to compensate for the rest, so yes the rest will fall into place.
    A friend who sets up systems etc told me a little story that illustrates this. He went round to a person house, intially he found the system really tiring. After a few hours his ears adjusted and could enjoy the system.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Ian.

I want to be emotionally attached to the music and experience the felling of getting it and the happiness an artist must feel when they get a perfect take. That perfect take could still be compromised with little mistakes having been made, or it is the best out of a bad bunch after a hard days recording. So perfect is the wrong word, but the take that will be used on the album.

I love to imagine I was there.

I love Neil Young and Crazy Horse on 'Ragged Glory'. They are playing together, with one take in what sounds like a shed and are having a brilliant time. That shines through in the music.

On Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti the track Black Country Woman, recorded outside starts with the sound of an airplane flighover head and some laughter, Jimmy Page saying to leave it and then the music starts. They too are in the groove.

I would have loved to have been there to high five Roger Waters as he finally got his perfect sound for one of the tracks on DSOTM.

Even the that I'll do attitude of many of the punk bands may not be musically perfect, but it has the energy and passion that is more important. Nick Mason hated the way Pink Floyd recorded music and he produced one of the first punk albums Damned, Damned, Damned' which is a riot of short tracks, get on with it and energy.

I love hearing those differences and hate bland recordings flattened out by the Loudness Wars. Such music is the mass produced posters of cute cats for peoples walls and far removed from real art.

The near accurate reproduction of the sound of instruments, their setting and atmosphere of what is in our recordings. I would say live music but that is recording dependent.
    Hear your music, not your speakers

I'm Nick.

But what does an electric guitar sound like?

Where is the reference that it is accurate to?
    Nick.

I should have said acoustic instruments. Pardon moi.

I'm Louis.

Default Closing my eyes and being in row 15---alone

For the last 10 years or so I have been photographing the performances of the Chattanooga Symphony in a marvelous restored early 20th century movie house.

Lucky me, I get to hear music live and get paid for the trouble.

I want my little system to come as close as possible to what I hear from the rehearsals I get to attend.

I sit about 15 rows back, and am usually, although not always, alone in the seating area of the hall (fast, long lenses, ya know?).

Rich, brash, loud, soft, detailed, huge crescendos, and fiddles of all sizes that sound pretty much like fiddles.

Over the last 10 years my system, and quite possibly my ears have improved fairly dramatically.

I don't know which camp I fall into, but when I close my eyes in my listening room things are much closer to row 15 than they have ever been...and nobody is rattling paper, coughing or shuffling around in the seat next to me.

Audio Art indeed!!!!

That's very similar to my experience, also, even tho I have a small room. It's about speaker placement and listening position as much as it is about equipment. And the recording, of course. I listen to a lot of recordings made on location.

I'm joe.

'If we have data, let's examine the data. If all we have are opinions, let's go with mine'.

Some American CEO.

I'm Steve.

The Art Of Sound are genuine people from all backgrounds with the same passion for listening to music and enjoying the virtue of Audio Engineering and nostalgia. Plus lively debate.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by idc View Post
    I want to be emotionally attached to the music and experience the felling of getting it and the happiness an artist must feel when they get a perfect take. That perfect take could still be compromised with little mistakes having been made, or it is the best out of a bad bunch after a hard days recording. So perfect is the wrong word, but the take that will be used on the album.

I love to imagine I was there.

I love Neil Young and Crazy Horse on 'Ragged Glory'. They are playing together, with one take in what sounds like a shed and are having a brilliant time. That shines through in the music.

On Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti the track Black Country Woman, recorded outside starts with the sound of an airplane flighover head and some laughter, Jimmy Page saying to leave it and then the music starts. They too are in the groove.

I would have loved to have been there to high five Roger Waters as he finally got his perfect sound for one of the tracks on DSOTM.

Even the that I'll do attitude of many of the punk bands may not be musically perfect, but it has the energy and passion that is more important. Nick Mason hated the way Pink Floyd recorded music and he produced one of the first punk albums Damned, Damned, Damned' which is a riot of short tracks, get on with it and energy.

I love hearing those differences and hate bland recordings flattened out by the Loudness Wars. Such music is the mass produced posters of cute cats for peoples walls and far removed from real art.
    Some great albums were notoriously terrible to make with band arguing and hating each other, perhaps even each coming in to record their part on their own..

Not sure I'd like to imagine I was there for those!

I prefer to try to be in the place the band or artist wants to fool me into believing I am - whether it is real or not. For that, it just has to sound as the artist intended which requires a system that can do everything.

Can't remember who said this but someone experienced in the high-high-end - I think was a high-end dealer either on a forum or maybe in person to me when I bought a customer trade-in? - as you move into the very high priced gear and speakers, they become less capable as all-rounders but instead begin to hone in on particular aspects of sound like dynamics or midrange tonality etc etc and you have rich audiophiles who love that particular aspect above all else and are willing to pay high prices for something they can't get elsewhere.

In other words, if you have a wide taste in music and you simply want the music to be replayed exactly as intended, you should ignore all the flagship products and aim lower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast