+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New system

I'm Olan.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I don't know what audio output interconnects you're using for digital, so please don't mind this interruption. The Klotz MC5000 cables as made up so beautifully by Brian here would bring out every last ounce of any emotion and timbral 'texture' in the digital sound source.

Forgive me for asking the above, but I tend to react when people 'only' use digital as a secondary source - apologies... The vinyl player you have IS excellent - the ARO on a late LP12 doesn't sound 'fruity' at all (I helped set an Armageddon one up with ARO and XX2 a few years ago), but 'digital' done well should still sound as good, if not as 'exuberant' perhaps
    I'm not really a believer in cables, especially digital cables. I have Linn silvers through the current rig as they came with kit I owned previously and look nice. Changing 'em for cheaper/more expensive cable made no real difference. I sold the more expensive cables. I use Atlas speaker cables which I bought s/h from Emporium Hi Fi to replace my NACA5. They are 6m long, do the job, and look nice (nowt wrong with bling TBH and they match the Linn Silvers which calms my OCD side). We have the ubiquitous box of cables (digital, balanced and unbalanced interconnects) here which I swapped in and out without discernible effect. Currently I am using a Linn Silver rca between the renderer and DAC. I also have a bunch of optical interconnects which make no difference to my (admittedly cloth like) ears. I'm in the 'it is 0s and 1s' school of thought.

I went to the very £££ end of digital with the NDS/555PS DR pictured on the first page of this thread. I now use a rig that cost 1/10 of the outlay on that streamer alone. It sounds excellent, but I prefer vinyl for all sorts of reasons. What I really meant was that I prefer to focus my spending on the vinyl rig and records. I cannot see any point in further investment in the digital rig as the returns will be marginal. I do have nearly 4 TB of digitally stored music on my Vortexbox and NAS, most of which is not available on vinyl. I do enjoy digital, but where I own an album on vinyl and CD or FLAC, the vinyl sounds best to me by a country mile. This was true with the madly expensive Naim and Linn streamers and the Weiss streamer/server I demoed and the CD players I have owned. I find the Moon kit does exactly what I need in terms of playback so can't see the point in investing more. If only the control app for the Moon was better! Eventually, that will lead me to replace the kit, but as renderer and DAC owe me under £800 it is not a huge task.....unlike replacing the Naim rig.......

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Best Linn I ever heard was a naimed one with Aro arm.

Regards Neil
    My LP12 is set up with an Aro mounting a Dynavector DVXX2 II MC cartridge. I was 'lucky' to inherit the deck which came with a Keel/A sub chassis. I replaced a Naim NAPSA and Prefix/SuperCap with a Radikal power supply with DC motor and Urika phono preamp. This is the 'full fat' LP12 configuration and sounds wonderful to my ears. The move to radikal/urika was intended by the original owner. I've been listening to the same deck for 30-odd years through the various upgrades the original owner made. It has always sounded wonderful to me, and obviously has enormous sentimental value for me. A new cartridge is on the cards for 2016 probably another Dynavector, but I will audition others....
    Last edited by htm_1968; 07-10-2015 at 00:52.
    Vinyl: SME 20/2 & SME V, Audio Note Io Gold, Audio Note (Japan) S6, Allnic H1500 SEII
    Digital: 4TB Innuos Zen, Aesthetix Pandora DAC, Lumin D1 Streamer
    Pre Amp: Audio Research LS27
    Pwr Amp: Pass Aleph 2, Plinius SA-50 or Rank Concept Monoblocks
    Speakers: Art Alnico 8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345