+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Stan's New Dac - any reviews yet?

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    ...Its a shame the dac didn't have internal sockets to allow the addition of say a USB input module and headphone amp module etc which can be added as a later upgrade if you know what I mean
    I'm sure Stan will know exactly what you mean, as would a few electronics bods, but remember Leo that you are in a distinct minority of audiophiles and hi-fi enthusiasts. I would class myself as a complete digital head with a basic working knowledge of electronics, but I still wouldn't dream of opening a DAC to make alterations to the circuitry. I'd say that most customers of Stan's would be the type who want excellent quality from a box that has plenty of connectivity and works well. Four inputs is plenty for most folk, heck most DACs only have one or two, and those who want USB can choose the 7520, those who don't may opt for the 7510 - either was they're on to a winner. If the desire to get the best one is there then they will choose the 7520.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Gary.

A burning question for a lot of us folks I guess, is the Dac itself of the 7520.

A lot of us would upgrade (id bet) from our Mk6/4 if it was SIGNIFICANTLY better - the "Giant Slayer" you speak of Stan.

I'd certainly upgrade if it was - I guess over time the comparisons and reviews will come out and people will form a bigger picture impression.

I TOTALLY get the different market sectors you are aiming for Stan, id be itchy to upgrade though if I knew there was a better Beresford out there - even if only for the Dac.

Heres me, watching and waiting
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Your probably right, I was thinking similar lines to the old Naim pre amps, remove four screws, slide out sleeve and slot in cards.

As mentioned though, its hard to please everyone

Reviews are certainly needed !

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I will be submitting my review soon, just going to let the DAC get a week's worth of running in to loosen it up a touch.

Atacama SE24 stands

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    A burning question for a lot of us folks I guess, is the Dac itself of the 7520.

A lot of us would upgrade (id bet) from our Mk6/4 if it was SIGNIFICANTLY better - the "Giant Slayer" you speak of Stan.
    Let me quote Stan

"What I can say is that if you got an outstanding preamp or intend to drive a power amp directly from the DAC, then the new one would be the ideal candidate. If you need USB performance, or a headphone amp that can match an equivalent £200 headphone amp in its own right, then again the new unit would be up your street. But if none of the above applies to you, then the TC-7510 is more than adequate.
    The biggest problem I found was that many preamps are inferior sounding as a preamp when compared to the new DAC. So running the DAC through a half decent preamp is not going to offer you much improvements. It is hard to explain properly, without physically trying out what I just described. It's one of those things that makes people say it is impossible, until you hear it for yourself."

From

http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=1741c

Post #10

And there is another quote I am looking for.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I will be submitting my review soon, just going to let the DAC get a week's worth of running in to loosen it up a touch.
    I've had mine running for 4 days now and it's just improving as you'd expect it to. Compared to the 7510: more refinement & more detail. The big difference I have found is the extra clarity of vocals.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    Let me quote Stan

"What I can say is that if you got an outstanding preamp or intend to drive a power amp directly from the DAC, then the new one would be the ideal candidate. If you need USB performance, or a headphone amp that can match an equivalent £200 headphone amp in its own right, then again the new unit would be up your street. But if none of the above applies to you, then the TC-7510 is more than adequate.
    The biggest problem I found was that many preamps are inferior sounding as a preamp when compared to the new DAC. So running the DAC through a half decent preamp is not going to offer you much improvements. It is hard to explain properly, without physically trying out what I just described. It's one of those things that makes people say it is impossible, until you hear it for yourself."

From

http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=1741c

Post #10

And there is another quote I am looking for.

Yeah Brian your right...

But for me, if theres a BETTER StanDac out there....I'd probably upgrade, even though I dont use Headphones.

The reviews will let me know to start saving the pennies or not

PS LOVING my 6/4. Listening to "Duffy-Stepping Stone" earlier and it was liquid. Emotion, passion, all the musical stuff was right there.
    But if it can be bettered......wow.

I've a big thing about maximising the quality of my sueezebox setup: linear PSU's, Stans Latest Dac with Maplins PSU, Belden HDTV Spec DigiCoax...that kind of thing. All things that have inproved sound quality.
    Im happy with my current setup - but can it be bettered?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    if theres a BETTER StanDac out there....I'd probably upgrade, even though I dont use Headphones.
    The other quote I had in my mind, and cannot now find was to the effect that apart from the improved headphone circuit, the improvement in general musical competence was incremental, now Stan seems to be saying more than that. Yet if the headphone amp is upgraded we must suppose the analogue section behind it has been, and that better volume pot has been used.

When I move to Cyprus I will probably need a second DAC to service a second listening station. The Squeezebox's DAC just doesn't do it for me. At that point I can justify the £200.

At the moment I have one Squeezebox in the lounge driving the Quad 405-2 without a preamp in the middle, but relying on the variable output of the Standac 6/4

If I drive the Quad power amp from the fixed output of the Standac and use the Digital Volume Control in the Squeezebox with 10 or 20% attenuation I think it is clearer, but by a very small margin. I may be right up against the resolving qualities of the Quad 405 (rebuilt) and the Quart speakers linked in my Signature.

It doesn't stop me enjoying the music!

But like you I wait for other opinions.
    Last edited by Labarum; 03-02-2009 at 21:18.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by trailer View Post
    I've had mine running for 4 days now and it's just improving as you'd expect it to. Compared to the 7510: more refinement & more detail. The big difference I have found is the extra clarity of vocals.
    I've never heard any of the previous Beresford DACs so I have no point of reference from that point of view, I will be comparing it to my Apogee (which is a very established DAC that's often rated better than the Benchmark DAC 1) and also to my memories of my MF Tri-Vista DAC 21.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Paul.

"A lot of us would upgrade (id bet) from our Mk6/4 if it was SIGNIFICANTLY better"

Yeah, that was my thinking behind starting this post - plus the fact that I currently use a USB convertor between my computer and the MK 6/4, (which incidentally cost as much as the MK 6/4). The 7520 would enable me to do away with the convertor, but initially I'd be interested in comparing the performance between the two - a USB face off, as it were.

I might contact stan regarding a loan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast