+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stan's New Dac - any reviews yet?

I'm Paul.

Default Stan's New Dac - any reviews yet?

just wondering,

has any AOS members had the chance to compare stan's new beresford to the 7510+ yet?

or is the great man himself prepared to give us his own unbiased opinion

I'm Gary.

Waiting on these myself....

Stans already said they are different dacs for different markets....but I'd be most interested in DIRECT comparison of them both as Dacs only.

They ARE aimed at different markets though, so I should learn be be happy with what Ive got, but I'm always that little bit curious!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Paul.

yeah, me too - can't help but be curious. I've read stan's made a few improvements. I'd seriously consider a demo if there's quite an upgrade in performance.

popped down to richer sounds the other day and tried to bag a CA Dacmagic for home demo, but the manager was having none of it

he would only promise a credit note on return, and if you buy from their website you only get 7 days to return for a refund. Not that i'm considering replacing the beresford - just curious. i can't see the CA justifying the price difference.

It would be unfair of me to do a review of the TC-7520. I shall however do a write up on the ideas and execution of those that have resulted in the TC-7520. But anyone thinking of spending money on a DAC should take into consideration that the TC-7510 scored very highly against some other DACs costing a lot more. The TC-7520 tramples all over the TC-7510, and by a very wide margin. Or your money back. I can't be fairer than that.

Stan

I'm Paul.

"It would be unfair of me to do a review of the TC-7520.......the TC-7520 tramples all over the TC-7510, and by a very wide margin"

LOL. careless talk costs money, stan - the word 'trampled' has got me hooked. When will they be available on your website?

I'm Paul.

Stan,

just realized - if the 7520 has USB, they'll be no need for my 'Trends' USB convertor between my Mac and my beresford. do you think they'll be much difference in performance in this respect - going straight from Mac to 7520?

I'm James.

Annoyingly I recently relented and bought the new DacMagic - a combination of impatience, and annoyance that my Rotel cdp was beating my SB's dac every time.

Well, the upcoming 7520 is one of the reasons I joined AoS - so would really love to hear more from Stan about the ideas behind his latest baby...

I'm Paul.

jake,

you don't happen to be living anywhere near the London, Surrey, berkshire area do you?

i'd be interested in setting up a Dacmagic v 7520/7510 face off

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    It would be unfair of me to do a review of the TC-7520. I shall however do a write up on the ideas and execution of those that have resulted in the TC-7520. But anyone thinking of spending money on a DAC should take into consideration that the TC-7510 scored very highly against some other DACs costing a lot more. The TC-7520 tramples all over the TC-7510, and by a very wide margin. Or your money back. I can't be fairer than that.

Stan
    Which version of the tc-7510 is being trampled on? i ve read very good reviews about the tc-7510 6/4 compared to the 6/3. You make it sound like the difference is night and day between tc-7510 6/4 and the tc-7520. Yet the price difference is expected to only be 45 uk sterling? Well all I can say is that if the tc-7520 is that good lucky immenent buyers and bravo to you Stan for pulling it off at such a price

I have had one of the tc-7520s since Saturday. I can't do a comparison to the tc-7510 as this is my first external DAC purchase. I can say however that I am very very happy with its sound quality - it is stunning. The headphone amp is the thing thats gobsmacked me though... If you're looking for an excellent DAC with USB input that can properly drive HD650's without external amplification (see my original post on the headphone amp part of the dac in "you like?" forum) you don't need to look any further.

I will be comparing the DAC with my colleagues £1000 DAC in the next few months. I will write up our thoughts after that. I won't pre-empt the results but I'm sure that the 7520 won't sound out of place in the comparison.....

Ade

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast