+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New integrated amp

I'm gone.

Coo -- Dave is getting metaphysical.
    Whodathawtit?

I'm Joao.

Hi guys after weekend reflexion i have decided to go with Rega Brio-R and Rega DAC.

I have asked a Rega reseller in Belgium the price for package.

He makes me the deal for 966 £ ... 1220 euros incl. shipping

I have a few more questions :

What's a good interconnection cable to put between cd player (digital out) and dac (coax) ?

Should i use coax or toslink to connect Rega DAC to Squeezebox Touch ?

Thanks for all !

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Not too sure about the first question, as I don't have a CDP, but I suspect coax.
    For the second question, definitely coax and a Belden 1694A cable with Canare plugs is reported to give very good results from a Touch via coax. I can confirm it does into a Rega DAC, although I have not tested this against other cables. Its not an expensive cable either and could be somewhere to start and experiment further later on if you wish.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...e+jeans+belden

Thanks for the update Joao and let us know how you get on, I think you will be very pleased?
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Joao.

Thanks for you advices and suggestions.

4 questions again

Maybe Tim you can give me some clue about this ...

Not too sure about the first question, as I don't have a CDP, but I suspect coax.
    1) Yeah it's coax output (bitstream) from rotel cd player. Should i use one Belden 1694A cable coax ?

2)
    Tim
    Belden 1694A cable with Canare plugs
    ? What are canare plugs ?

3) What cable should i use from DAC to BRio-R ?

4) Logitech - Switch-mode upgrade for the Squeezebox Touch Price: €34,95.
    or power supply for the Squeezebox Touch 5V for €134,95 seems pricey.

Do you think this is worth it ?
    Last edited by AristoChat; 27-08-2012 at 11:11.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by AristoChat View Post
    Hi guys after weekend reflexion i have decided to go with Rega Brio-R and Rega DAC.

I have asked a Rega reseller in Belgium the price for package.

He makes me the deal for 966 £ ... 1220 euros incl. shipping

I have a few more questions :

What's a good interconnection cable to put between cd player (digital out) and dac (coax) ?

Should i use coax or toslink to connect Rega DAC to Squeezebox Touch ?

Thanks for all !

Yes I really like the coax input on the Rega DAC, just seems a bit livlier than the others. In terms of cables I use a 75ohm bit of monster interlink I've had for years from my cheapo dvd player to the dac for spinning silver discs, it sounds very nice.

For my HTPC I recently swapped from usb to the coax output and tried one of the Belkin silber series RCAs between it. Seems to work pretty well and didnt cost any extra money as i had plenty of them lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    For the second question, definitely coax and a Belden 1694A cable with Canare plugs is reported to give very good results from a Touch via coax. I can confirm it does into a Rega DAC, although I have not tested this against other cables. Its not an expensive cable either and could be somewhere to start and experiment further later on if you wish.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...e+jeans+belden

Thanks for the update Joao and let us know how you get on, I think you will be very pleased?
    Tim, I havent forgotten I promised you a loan of my Klotz RCA... I've been working away loads and will get around to sending it. I've asked the mrs to put it in a box so i just need to get it posted.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Rich.

4 questions again

1) Yeah it's coax output (bitstream) from rotel cd player. Should i use one Belden 1694A cable coax ?

2) ? What are canare plugs ?

Re No3 - I strongly recommend Rega's own couple (or a clone which is what i have). This is a Klotz AC110 cable with Puresonic plugs which i bought of another member here for less than £20.

If you are up to it you can build your own by buyiing Klotz AC110 cable by the metre, i believe it is actually used as an instrument cable, from Studiospares and using Neutrik Profi plugs (or any other quality plug). Check the 'private exhbitions' pages on AoS as members Littletone and RFC (reference fidelity) both had clone type cables for sale. perhaps drop them a line.

I would say it is the best sounding IC i've tried, not too bright unlike others and makes a real difference. Getting the right cable between the dac and amp is key with rega gear imho, i've noticed this more than with any other kit I've owned.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Paul.

4 questions again

Maybe Tim you can give me some clue about this ...

2) ? What are canare plugs ?

I'll buck the trend here for an answer to nr 3. The Klotz AC110 is often recommended for Rega kit as it is what Rega market themselves under the "Rega Couple" branded IC. It is a reasonable low capacitance cable which uses a spiral shield but IMHO, it lacks a little refinement and can be bettered. I've responded to your email to me with some suggestions for you which would work well and offer far better performance. With one or two exceptions, never be tempted to use budget RCA plugs as they can be detrimental to sound quality (they can have quite a detrimental impact on signal integrity). All IMHO.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Good choice! You'll be very happy with that combination.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Joao.

Hi all,

Already Bought

2 * Belden 1694A Coaxial Digital Audio Cable RCA/RCA 1.5m (Blue Jeans Cable)

Pair Fidelity IO Klotz AC110 IC / Neutrik Profi Interconnects 1m from RFC (Reference Fidelity Components)

Possibly tommorrow (Have to talk to my WIFE first )

1 * Rega Brio-R
    1 * Rega DAC

I'm also waiting a mail from DAVE for a price offer. (http://www.radlettaudio.co.uk)

Thanks for all for the brilliant suggestions for a guy getting HIFI for low prices and saving pennies.

Will keep this updated.

A few questions more :

1) Is it worth using a filter on Squeezebox Touch like the Sbooster ?

2) I have heard that it does matter how i put mains cable in the socket for rega brio-r ?! Sound can be better if i turn it 90 degrees around ...

Rgds

JF
    Last edited by AristoChat; 28-08-2012 at 08:22.

I'm Paul.

Hi all,

Already Bought

2 * Belden 1694A Coaxial Digital Audio Cable RCA/RCA 1.5m (Blue Jeans Cable)

Pair Fidelity IO Klotz AC110 IC / Neutrik Profi Interconnects 1m from RFC (Reference Fidelity Components)

Possibly tommorrow (Have to talk to my WIFE first )

1 * Rega Brio-R
    1 * Rega DAC

I'm also waiting a mail from DAVE for a price offer. (http://www.radlettaudio.co.uk)

Thanks for all for the brilliant suggestions for a guy getting HIFI for low prices and saving pennies.

Will keep this updated.

A few questions more :

1) Is it worth using a filter on Squeezebox Touch like the Sbooster ?

2) I have heard that it does matter how i put mains cable in the socket for rega brio-r ?! Sound can be better if i turn it 90 degrees around ...

Rgds

JF
    Hi JF

regarding point 2) above, it's better if possible where power and signal cables cross to have them crossing at right angles (ie 90 degrees) to reduce unwanted interference in the signal. As you have a screened signal cable, you shouldn't experience much, if any interference, so just plug in, play and enjoy

Regarding the first point, try what you have first. You may not need or want a filter. The less you can introduce into the signal path, the better IMHO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast