+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JR149 Speakers

I'm Gwyn.

Default JR149 Speakers

Hi Guys,

Here are a few pictures of the finished articles; sorry I didn't take pictures of the process.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/...speakers1s.jpg

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/...speakers2s.jpg

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/...speakers3s.jpg

The speakers were stripped down and rebuilt with a 2" hardwood base 1" hardwood top, new xovers and kimber cable. Oh and the front baffle was increased to flush mount the drivers and the drivers are now bolted in place.

All finished off with Cocobolo veneer and baffles to match our room.

The stands are Attacama 20" with hardwood front and matching Cocobolo veneer sides and veneered wood top plates. (The difference between wood and metal top plates was quite amazing. So much more musical. )

The sound Ahh! The sound well they are one of the most musical speakers I have owned. That's no mean feat as the previous three speakers in my room were Audiostatic DC1's, Yamaha 1000's and Tanoy Lancasters 15" gold’s.
    Don't get me wrong, all of the other speakers do some things better than the 149's but these are domestic bliss. Small and work as my fronts for AV as well. What I wasn't prepared for was them producing a soundstage that is as big as the Audiostatics, although the Audiostatics resolution of fine detail was amazing.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Holy smokes, they are gorgeous

Nice one . . . I had some 149's in the 70's, but they never looked like that!
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

They are indeed gorgeous! What a lovely wood.

To save people clicking the links, here are the photos:

Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Steve.

They look fantastic !! Can't beat a bit of real tree !

I'm Richard.

Lovely finish. A tip for the grills; if you colour the frames dark, they will look an even colour all over. I have had to redo some in the past 'cos it eventually annoyed me seeing the dark and light areas. Unless you like the look, which is entirely possible.

I'm Gwyn.

Thanks for doing the pic's Alex.
    I bet that pair of speakers in your avatar go really loud on occasions

The grills were painted white before covering in the hope of reducing show-through

The wood is one of the Rosewood family.

I'm Dan.

Stunning

Well done my friend
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Andrew.

NICE! I've been after a pair for a while, but thats another thing!!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by friendly View Post
    Thanks for doing the pic's Alex.
    I bet that pair of speakers in your avatar go really loud on occasions

The grills were painted white before covering in the hope of reducing show-through

The wood is one of the Rosewood family.
    The wood is certainly gorgeous, and the grills are a relatively easy fix, if you want to. You could even have several, kind of change the mood? Red for parties, etc.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I actually like the grills a lot - they fit the decor and its refreshing to see something different to black or grey.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast