+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding Bikes ....any good ?

I'm engy.

Lightbulb Folding Bikes ....any good ?

I'm thinking of getting a couple of bikes for me and it as a hobby and also a way of us fifty year olds to keep fit. We fancy the idea of folding bikes as we are not into lycra or racing....just a fun pastime. I like the idea of a folding bike so we can bung em in the motor and set off for a weekend in the lakes or whatever. Even take them abroad. I also think they'r pretty cool looking .
    But I don't want to spend a grand each really.
    So.....are they ok and which reasonable priced ones are the best ?

I'm Keith.

There was a feature on folding bikes on "The Cycle Show" on ITV4 on Monday 20/8

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=323536

Take a look!
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Clive.

I suppose whether folding bikes are any good depends on how serious you are about cycling and how much you need them to fold.

A probably unfair comparison would be is a USB turntable any good? Well vs the TTs we discuss here then no. But they serve a purpose.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Simon.

Like any bike, you largely get what you pay for.

http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk/

Consider that the top end excluding the lack of Moulton. The cheap end of the scale is probably something like Dahon. http://www.dahon.com/folding-bicycles
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm engy.

Erm...I don't really know how to add more than my original post...
    It's for fun....and exercise.....and probably a bit of gentle sight seeing..y'know with a bag of grub and such.
    Maybe 10 miles a weekend and more if we travel with them.
    So Clive I assume your saying they are as bad in comparison as a usb deck to a gyrodec....If they are so inferior to a non folding bike as that then maybe I 'll forget it.

That's dashed my hopes. I thought they might be fun.
    Last edited by the engine; 23-08-2012 at 09:33.

I'm Clive.

That's not really what I intended to say. If you aren't into serious biking and I assume you're not as you wouldn't have asked the question if you were - then they'll be fine if your priorities are portability and a bit of fun. If you want to cycle 25 miles over hills then no, they aren't great, you need a better bike.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side

I'm Clive.

Another thought....if you are interested in cycling you might want to consider getting off the roads as they are not safe nowadays. I too am in my 50s, my 17 year old keeps me less unfit by dragging me mountain biking. You can find gentle and much harder trails depending on what you want. You won't find a good folding mountain bike though. If you have a tow hook you could put a rack on the back of the car easily. I use roof bars. 400 to 500 quid gets you a decent hardtail bike.

I'm Simon.

What folding bikes have you used Clive?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm engy.

Oh right...cleared up mate.
    My misses on mountain trails !!!!!!!
    What's that gonna do to the prada trainers ?.....no I think riding round the lakes tarmac'll do us.
    Mmmmmm, does Roberto cavelli or le'boutin do a line in helmets ?....that could be another problem.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    What folding bikes have you used Clive?
    I've riden some on demo days, they weren't the best balanced bikes (far from it) and some were rather heavy. As with USB turnatables I don't care enough to remember the models. I'm sure if you throw enough money at a folding bike or a USB TT then it must be possible to get a decent one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast