+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AoS World Exclusive Review of Ecofan Sound Buffer Zone and Boost It

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Jack,

Not sure what you mean. Nothing has been moved or removed to my knowledge

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Williams View Post
    Hmm.. posts since April seem to have vanished from this thread, or is there another page i can't find? Jack
    Hi Jack

I am sure that isn't the case, as being a moderator allows me, when I log in to see any posts that have been deleted and none have. There is a preview thread for these products, which I wrote before having the Buffer Zone and Boost It to review properly. A preamble to wet the readers curiosity.

The other Ecofan Sound items reviewed on the forum are the two input pre and 6a3 power amplifier. Thats it. As much as I would love to hear and review other items you make I am reliant on Francis (Giant Haystacks) to be able to do that and to date as far as i know he hasn't got anything new for me to write about

I can understand your and my disappointment that these threads have not grown any bigger, but thats a reality of forums including your own, that even excellent topics can dry up and go dormant until discovered at another/later time. What I can tell you if its any comfort that these reviews have been read by a lot of people.

To this date, the figures are 1264 for the pre/power review. 619 for this review and 103 for the preview. I think for a small forum (but growing) these are very good statistics.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 29-06-2009 at 08:45.
    Regards Neil

dear dalek i have ecofan 2a3 monoblocks for you so ill bring them up to you this week , my pre is away at the minute, maybe i could give interested forum members a lend of boost it and buffer zone to try
    anyway i thought i saw a couple of dalek,s the other day but it was a dark dance floor at a wedding , i am looking forward to getting your door answered some day by a dalek how do they stay so active are they eco friendly

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Haystacks View Post
    dear dalek i have ecofan 2a3 monoblocks for you so ill bring them up to you this week , my pre is away at the minute, maybe i could give interested forum members a lend of boost it and buffer zone to try
    anyway i thought i saw a couple of dalek,s the other day but it was a dark dance floor at a wedding , i am looking forward to getting your door answered some day by a dalek how do they stay so active are they eco friendly

Thats okay Francis

But not on a Saturday morning...Mrs Dalek will have my tentacles for breakfast.

Maybe I should come down to you..?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Apologies due from here. I was on the wrong thread. This is the Bufferzone etc but it was the one on the triode amps i was referring to. Comments are of course still there. I did think we may have been "pushing product" too much! Will keep an eye on that! Jack.

Default Review of Bufferzone

I agree, the better the player is, the less you would expect it to need impedance matching, which is what the Bufferzone does. Good here tho to match the DVD player to 7mtrs of install quality coax cable beneath house from player on table to Line-amp and power amp elsewhere. Perhaps Giant Haystacks will wear his new skirt when he visits!
    Last edited by Jack Williams; 30-07-2009 at 08:08. Reason: Fun

I'm Adam.

Default new black boxes for christmas?

hi,

just to let you all know, ecofansound will have new bufferzone and boost-it units available before too long.

do feel free to drop us a line if any of you are interested,

thanks,

adam@ecofansound.com

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'd like to ask on here please...

I do appreciate the impedance matching problem, which is made worse with many SS preamp inputs only giving 10 - 20K Ohms at best, but, my understanding is that to match with this, the output impedance of the buffer/booster needs to be less than 100 Ohms or so..

Am I correct in this assumption above? I'm interested because I still have the AVI preamp and 20K is no good for my two Quad preamps, which sound as dull as ditchwater with it. A "Booster" would be handy for the FM3/Croft though, as its output is well down on the LP and CD inputs and the twin volume controls at either side of the case are a piyta to re-adjust.

So, the question is, is the output impedance of the booster and buffer low enough for many SS preamp line inputs?

Perhaps, if the new booster is better than before, thetre may be the odd old one going cheap?????????

P.S. The X-10D was great for lower budget CD| players at the time and, apparently, it can be race tuned if anyone was interested in upgrading internal caps etc.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

hi i cant answer all the more technical bits, but i can tell some findings,
    the japanese valve amp maker called shindo was looking at digital sound from a man coming from records. he has an interface box called arome i think ,now the bufferzone is not a transformer version like the shindo but a valve one
    so i have a bufferzone here and i can tell some of my findings
    when used with the boost it +bufferzone +6a3 power amp it was not a sucess
    i have a loewe articos tv +concertos active bass+5 speaker which is average at best and the bufferzone put into this systeym is a total transformation.
    in our local hifi shop the new roksan candy cd player and amp +dali speakers this gave a very good sound and when the bufferzone was put in to the systeym it was a no go back situation it brought good equiptment to a diffarent level
    i could maybe arange for you to try this unit out it is a sort of try and see item there is no definate yes or no

I'm Adam.

hi dsjr,

do try the bufferzone in your system - you'll very quickly hear if it makes a positive difference.

below is a link to a stereophile review of the original musical fidelity X-10D active bufferstage. m.f. sold more than 40,000 units before it was withdrawn - and it was widely regarded as a top value product. i have personally compared the ecofan bufferzone with the X-10 on murray dick's home system and (i must humbly suggest) the ecofan was clearly superior in all aspects of it's performance.

http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/873/

also, here is a link to nelson pass' site where you can read about his active (solid state) bufferstage - why it works and where to use it. (in the 'diy' section... site not responding just now, might be a cached version at google)

http://www.firstwatt.com/

and please feel free to drop murray a line (he appears on aos as 'jack williams') here or through the www.ecofansound.com site.

sincerely,

adam

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast