+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nuforce - Rattled

I'm Paul.

You might be experiencing that hifi thing of what may seem impressive initially starts to irritate over the long haul.
    ~Paul~

Yet... I compared it many times to the very popular Lyngdorf 2175 Integrated and the Nuforce was clearly better in key areas
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm gone.

Quite puzzling. I really don't know what to make of these comments about harsh/distorted treble from Class D amps.

I've had loads (well, quite a few! *) and if anything I'd say the "Class D House Sound" (a contentious concept! ) was rather over-smooth and a bit 'safe' in the treble.

And I'm mainly a classical music listener so I'd expect to be particularly sensitive to treble issues - I certainly can't stomach many speakers that are well thought of for rock/electronica.

Maybe I'm just deaf. ... although I am over 50 so treble sensitivity will undoubtedly be one the wain .... but then Martin Colloms ain't exactly a spring chicken!

Could it be that I tend to live way out in the 'backwoods' and away from so-called civilisation - so the background levels of RFI will be low?

__

* Veritas P400 stereo power, NuForce Reference 8 monos (their 1st amps, and allegedly the worst RFI offenders), Lyngdorf/TacT SDAi2175 integrated and SDA2175 power, T-Amp, modded T-amp. Any others? Possibly ...

It's more the quality rather than quantity of treble; as Martin Colloms pointed out we have to invent new terminology for Class D problems.
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm gone.

Hi Hans - well, I was talking about treble quality too. I just haven't heard treble nasties in any of the class D amps I have owned. Too damn smooth - yes; distortion, no.

I'm beginning to wonder if it was after the upgrade to the V2 version because I hadn't noticed it before either. Colloms reviewed V2.

Now with my old Audiolab things are back to "normal" - actually it's very good, a humble power amp with a high-class preamp can perform miracles, I almost feel like a box-swapper
    Hans

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Unusual, I've heard the NuForce amps and they are very impressive, in fact my next power amp change was to be moving from my modified 8000P to a pair of the 9SE V2s. I may have to have a pair on long-term test before making the jump, saying that the Audiolab stuff in normal guise was always leagues ahead of the competition, modified even better.

Hmmm.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Oh is there something to modify in the Audiolab ?

I'm using a 15year-old integrated in power amp mode.
    Hans

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

If you post a pic of your updated Nuforce amps and if we can find a decent picture of the ones before it might be possible to work out what they changed and should give us an idea whats made it worse

Some mods/updates don't suit everybody

Hi chaps first e-mail here:

I have no problem with the Nuforces and certainly not headaches etc. I am a valve man at heart but when I don't want all that power on the nuforces are OK.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast