+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mains cables - please help me out

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    No, as I said, if you average the current drawn over the whole 10 milli second time period it's quite low. But as it's effectively drawing on the mains voltage peaks, maybe for less than 500 micro seconds, these current peaks are high.

While they may be high, they aren't over enough time to blow a fuse or trip a breaker
    Hi Mark,

Do you know if circuit breakers are any more linear in operation than fuses?

Kind Regards,
    Stephen

I'm John.

Most decent aftermarket cables actually use a much bigger conductor area than even a 13A mains cable, which is 1.25mm². For instance, the Mark Grant DSP2.5 stuff I use a lot of here happens to have conductors of 2.5mm² cross sectional area.

In other words the cable has a much lower resistance! You may not think this is very important as your amp may only draw a couple of Amps, but it's the way it draws that current that matters

An amplifier will only draw current from the mains on AC voltage peaks, because it's recharging the capacitor bank in the amp. This means that while it may draw a few Amps average, it's actually drawing peak currents of maybe 50Amps or more...

This is where having that nice thick mains cable makes a difference to the solidity of the bass - where most power is used
    I just don't understand why having a larger diameter conductor than that of the supply makes a difference.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I'm not sure what you mean by linear, though you this may help?

There are different types of breakers, though in this instance i'm talking about MCBs or mechanical circuit breakers, not RCDs.

There are three different curves which will result in how they behave under an overload & over time. These are known as B, C & D curves.

Type B breakers won't like a high peak overload, these should be used on something like a resistive load, like an immersion heater or shower.

Type C breakers will handle a high current peak for a short duration when something is switched on, most mains rings will probably be fitted with type C breakers.

Type D will handle huge current peaks when something is switched on, these aren't generally used in domestic environments.

All the breakers will likely carry 125% overload for a minute or two, the higher the overload, the shorter the duration that each will keep the circuit connected.

As to which is more linear,a fuse or a breaker, I'm not sure But a breaker can be reset

I also wouldn't go too much on what I have said here, as I'm not an electrician Any in the place can greatfully correct me if I'm in the slightest bit incorrect.
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    I just don't understand why having a larger diameter conductor than that of the supply makes a difference.
    John, most houses have mains rings

That means you have a 5mm² cable feeding your mains socket (2 x 2.5mm²).
    Bests, Mark

I'm Stephen.

I'm not sure what you mean by linear, though you this may help?

There are different types of breakers, though in this instance i'm talking about MCBs or mechanical circuit breakers, not RCDs.

There are three different curves which will result in how they behave under an overload & over time. These are known as B, C & D curves.

Type B breakers won't like a high peak overload, these should be used on something like a resistive load, like an immersion heater or shower.

Type C breakers will handle a high current peak for a short duration when something is switched on, most mains rings will probably be fitted with type C breakers.

Type D will handle huge current peaks when something is switched on, these aren't generally used in domestic environments.

All the breakers will likely carry 125% overload for a minute or two, the higher the overload, the shorter the duration that each will keep the circuit connected.

As to which is more linear,a fuse or a breaker, I'm not sure But a breaker can be reset

I also wouldn't go too much on what I have said here, as I'm not an electrician Any in the place can greatfully correct me if I'm in the slightest bit incorrect.
    Thanks.

I want to make a distribution block using copper busbars and avoid using plugs and sockets. Also wanted to avoid fuses and naturally some have said its not a good idea. Wondered if circuit breakers would be a better option, which is why I asked.

Thanks again,
    Stephen

Better IMHO, though more expensive at the outset.

I'll be using them myself when I upgrade the spur to this room
    Bests, Mark

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    Thanks.

I want to make a distribution block using copper busbars and avoid using plugs and sockets. Also wanted to avoid fuses and naturally some have said its not a good idea. Wondered if circuit breakers would be a better option, which is why I asked.

Thanks again,
    Stephen
    Far simpler to buy a schuko mains block with a uk plug on the end and fit schuko plugs to all your mains leads, that is perfectly legal and safe as the mains plug on the end of the schuko block has a fuse fitted

ben duncan makes similar to what you require on the moth website, a metal box with 12 outlets, just wire your mains leads into it

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    Far simpler to buy a schuko mains block with a uk plug on the end and fit schuko plugs to all your mains leads, that is perfectly legal and safe as the mains plug on the end of the schuko block has a fuse fitted

ben duncan makes similar to what you require on the moth website, a metal box with 12 outlets, just wire your mains leads into it
    Thanks for that David.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen

I'm John.

John, most houses have mains rings

That means you have a 5mm² cable feeding your mains socket (2 x 2.5mm²).
    Yes but……
    First, I’m not arguing whether ‘upgrading’ the mains supply makes a difference or not.
    I’ve done enough work on mine to draw my own conclusions and that’s all that’s all that matters.

What I’m having problems with is if I’ve understood you right is any sonic improvements one might hear are attributable to the larger diameter wire being able to handle peak current.
    I’ve got 2.5mm conductors going right up to the components. The trouble is, the component wiring isn’t anything like 2.5mm. In fact, some of the wires on the power supply side of my amplifiers for example are 1mm diameter or less.
    If the ‘technical’ explanation you seem to be putting forward is correct then even if the extra diameter of the ‘upgrade’ cable handles peak current draw better, it all just goes to shit when it reaches component level.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Bob.

Perhaps I'm being a bit thick here, but considering the role of the smoothing caps is to handle short peak current demands, then would the bottleneck not be the rectifier and transformer stages and the wiring in the kit irrespective of how quickly current from mains can be supplied?

I can understand where getting a noise free low-impedance mains aupply would have benefits where there is a lot up crap flying.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast