+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Do 'boutique' cables make a difference?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

IMHO, anyone who does that misunderstands what science is and does, and just using the word science in the same way as a caveman would regard the moon, another word for magic beyond our understanding.
    Indeed. Remember Ashley and JC of 'AVI fame'? That's exactly how they looked at things. I think some engineers are merely wannabe pseudo-scientists who give REAL scientists a bad name. You are of course exempt!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shian7 View Post
    If it weren't for 'science', Hi-Fi systems would not exist!
    Yep, but that doesn't mean it can fully explain how the sound produced by hi-fi systems is appreciated by humans...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Does 'it' need to?
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

No, that's why we have ears

Marco.
    Main System

Psychoacoustics may go some way to explain why some hi-fi systems are more involving to listen to a given piece of recorded music through than others.

What made Marco's modified Croft Charisma pre and my AOS power the best sounding amp combination either of us has ever heard?

It certainly wasn't drugs.

I'm Nick.

It certainly wasn't drugs.
    I wonder, it might be, it would be interesting to see if the levels of things like dopamine change when listening to a good system.

Lookng forward to hearing that amp and pre combination then if its going to Chester.

Indeed it will be there, Nick

In fact, if Steve's willing to bring his Bel Canto and Hecos as well, we can set up the very system that blew us both away (with my Sony DAC and Croft preamp).

The synergy though between Steve's TD/AOS amp and the Croft was really quite special. It was one of the most musically engaging sounds I've ever heard - real 'hairs standing up on the back of your neck' stuff. Hopefully it will work as well at Chester.

If I can get my arse in gear today a full report will be posted in a separate thread on our recent listening session.

I believe also that Anthony may be bringing his big copper amp (60W p/p pure Class A via 4 x KT88s and three 6SN7s per channel) to Chester. Having heard this once before (and being utterly gob-smacked) it could well steal the show...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neal.

60W of pure class A from a PP pair of KT88's?

That's four KT88s per channel, Neal. I believe it's 60 - 120W, depending on biasing!

Check out the 'big boy' Copper amp here:

http://www.tubedistinctions.co.uk/custom.htm#top

I've heard it and it's stunning!!

If anything is unclear I'm sure Anthony will provide assistance

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526