+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Connex Audio Silver Mains Cable

MartinT Guest

Default Connex Audio Silver Mains Cable

This is a good looking power cable using 0.6mm pure silver conductors, three cores for each conductor, wound in Litz style with the three conductors themselves braided. Insulation is oversized PTFE Teflon for an air dielectric. There is a snap choke close to the IEC connector to further improve RF rejection. The UK plug is a silver plated MK Toughplug and the IEC connector is a Wattgate 320i, both connectors cryo treated. The cable is finished in an attractive white braid.

For the materials cost and build quality alone, it seems very good value at a delivered price of £148.49.

Right from the outset this cable has a wide open, detailed quality to it with very vivid presentation and well developed deep soundstage, when compared with my Russ Andrews High Current Powerkord which sounds darker in comparison. Instruments buried deep in the mix are highlighted very pleasingly and the cable already has a sense of 'rightness' in its sound. Not bad for a new silver cable as it's been my experience that silver needs a lot more burn-in than copper.

I'm going to put 100-150 hours on it before conducting a serious comparison between the two cables.
    Last edited by MartinT; 28-11-2012 at 13:27. Reason: Changed photo hosting

I'm Stephen.

Hi Martin,

Do you know if the three individual cores of each conductor are insulated from each other and braided together before the three conductors are braided?

Kind Regards,
    Stephen

MartinT Guest

Hi Stephen

I'll have to open up the cable to visually confirm. Their claim is "Nine cores of 0.6mm 99.99+% solid silver conductors in oversize PTFE Teflon insulation for 99.9% air dielectric. Three conductors per terminal. Braided into three balanced litz braids for advanced noise suppression and EMF rejection."

I'll check tonight.

I'm ILOB.

I can imagine its making a big difference on the Ayre
    Might be worth trying some RFI blockers on it
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Andy.

l run some Connex Audio 5N Solid Silver speaker cable and it sounds superb- full, smooth and musical, and l also use their i/c and that is a really smooth sounding cable for not too much wonga
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I can imagine its making a big difference on the Ayre
    Might be worth trying some RFI blockers on it
    It's very good with the Ayre, John. I'm going to try it with my phono preamp tonight.

It already has an RF blocker at the IEC end, you can see it in the photo.

I'm Tristan.

Interesting. I've seen their stuff on ebay. I wondered about possibly purchasing.

I wonder how good the iec is? I have had good results from Oyaide c-37, iego gold plated iec and now Furutech carbonfibre. I expect a better plug and iec may give a good uplift on this cable. The solid silver iego iec looks interesting and may work well here.

A better Fururtech plug has made a good improvement on my system.

I am moving towards all silver interconnects. Oyaide silver cable with wbt silver plugs. They sound good to me. Silver speaker cables are a likely purchase. I have gotten a quote from Yannis but have had some unforeseen expenses causing a delay in possibly purchasing.

MartinT Guest

The Wattgate 320i is quite tight fitting, though I think I'll be putting a Furutech FI-11Ag on it at some point.

Tom at Connex Audio is very open to custom requests and is going to quote me for a double-conductor version with 16A IEC connector to try with my power amp.

I'm Tristan.

I've just noticed the iec is a wattgate. Therefore, I'd change the plug before the iec.

MartinT Guest

The plug is a silver plated MK Toughplug, no need to replace it as the connection is tight. The IEC is just a copper Wattgate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast