+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mains Conditioning Systems - Discuss.

I'm Stewart.

Default Mains Conditioning Systems - Discuss.

i Guys,
    have had a good look around and cant find anything specifically discussing peoples personal experiences with mains conditioning systems.

I currently have a cheap and cheerful Takima mains filter fitted, and the general consensus seems to be that this will do more damage than good to the sound.

So, rooting around and discussing such things in person with Dave at MCRU has got me looking at solutions such as the Isotek solus and Aquarious.

Would love to hear peoples personal experience with such equipment before I go out and spend yet another large wad of money on such a controversial device.
    Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 09-08-2012 at 11:15.

I'm Rich.

I use the tacima with my amp, dac, tv, dvd and stb. The general consensus seems to be that they are fine for everything except amps which should go straight into the wall. Unfortunately this isnt possible for me as I only have 1 socket which i run the tacima from

When i first put it in i thought I could distinguish a tighter better bass but pretty much forgot about it after that. For the money they cost I'm happy that it provides some form of surge protection, seems solidly made and is a more 'hifi' solution than a cheap multi plug type thing. Not sure if I'd justify spending more money on mains conditioning for my gear, diminishing returns i think for my system, when i could probably acquire more components or great quality original recordings or even go on a holiday given the price of some gear.

I'm toying with the idea of trying some better mains cables for my amp and dac but couldnt really justify spending more than 50quid for one.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments View Post
    i Guys,
    have had a good look around and cant find anything specifically discussing peoples personal experiences with mains conditioning systems.

I currently have a cheap and cheerful Takima mains filter fitted, and the general consensus seems to be that this will do more damage than good to the sound.

So, rooting around and discussing such things in person with Dave at MCRU has got me looking at solutions such as the Isotek solus and Aquarious.

Would love to hear peoples personal experience with such equipment before I go out and spend yet another large wad of money on such a controversial device.
    I found Russ Andrews silencers and purifiers worked ok.
    Currently run a PS Audio PPP which does make a nice difference
    Can you plug all of your kit direct into unswitched sockets ?
    If not that makes a great difference for not a lot of dough
    Then there's special sockets that can also help, priced accordingly.
    Don't know the Solus or the Aquarious
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Adam.

I use an Advanced Electronics ASR250 mains regenerator to power my amplifier and turntable - I tried it in Central London and it made very little difference. Took it home to the depths of the Hampshire countryside and the differences were quite surprising.

Having tried several other filters and conditioners, I would say go for a unit that actually regenerates the mains signal rather than just faffing about with it a bit.

Also, don't worry about plugging your sources into such a unit unless it has lots of sockets that you feel obliged to use - it's the amplifier that will benefit the most from being powered by it, plus your turntable if it happens to have a synchronous AC motor.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    it's the amplifier that will benefit the most from being powered by it
    I couldn't agree more, my power amplifier responds to regenerated power much better than the source components.

Much more on regenerators here.

I'm Tom.

The Belkin range of mains conditioners work very well and won't break the bank.

The PF40 has plenty of sockets on the rear so only one wall socket is needed, plus it's one of the few units I have tried that doesn't compress the sound so the amplifier can be connected through it.

Sensible money too for a PF40 on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-Pur...a#ht_914wt_952

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes agreed, they work very well for the money.

synsei Guest

I'm very happy with the performance of the Belkin PF30 I bought from Dave Brooks, it was an excellent investment

I'm ILOB.

Three ways to go

1) Mains condictioners Tend to be good for Dacs Cd Players etc but generally do not work well with amplifiers
    2) Balanced Mains Make sure you have plenty of headroom of power I use a 3KVA transformer works really well
    3) Reginarted mains A bit more costly Yet again plenty of headroom is good advice

I would try and get a 21 day sale or return if going down option 2 or 3
    In some homes they make a massive difference in other homes they seem to make little difference This could be down to a number of factors in my case my house is built in the 30s and has a Industrial Estate near by
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

synsei Guest

The issue for me is that I only have a single socket available to power my system. I bought a good quality un-fused 2 way adapter a while back and the PF30 is plugged into one outlet and the Mini-T is plugged in t'other. The Techie, DR5, Arcam CDP, Sony MD and Caiman are all plugged into the PF30. Sometime soon I intend to upgrade the single mains socket to a good quality, unswitched double which I hope will offer up some improvement in SQ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast