+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Speaker wadding on eBay

I'm Ian.

Lightbulb Bracing is an option that would bot affect box volume too much

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, stuffing a cabinet with absorbent material will change the effective box volume (it acts as if it was a larger box), so a reflex design will have all its box/port tuning parameters changed and thrown off alignment. Ideally the stuffing and the port tuning need to be designed together, or at least the port tuning needs to adjusted after stuffing.
    The Ditton 15 is not exactly a reflex design, but used an auxiliary bass radiator (ABR) which is tuned to the box volume and bass/mid, so I agree that it is not a good idea to alter the box parameters too much.

Rather than changing stuffing, I may consider an internal brace or two between the front and back walls could help the boxes structural rigidity. These could start from between the tweeter and min/bass to rear and between the mid/bass and ABR to rear.
    If they were cut so as to be a tight fit and then glued in place, they could be beneficial without changing the box volume too much.

With speakers of this vintage, I would also think about replacing the capacitors in the crossover.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by iscm View Post
    The Ditton 15 is not exactly a reflex design, but used an auxiliary bass radiator (ABR)
    An ABR system is a reflex type. The passive radiator does a similar job to a port.

I'm gerald.

With speakers of this vintage, I would also think about replacing the capacitors in the crossover.
    I have allready done that and fitted better speaker binding posts

I'm Ian.

Default Probably just Bracing and a Rewire left to do

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    I have allready done that and fitted better speaker binding posts
    Then the only thing left is bracing and possibly wiring (nothing too fancy).
    Did you change away from any electrolytic's that there may have been?

I seem to remember that the Ditton 15 tweeter was often used together with a Coles supertweeter in other speaker designs.

Sorry if this is all a bit off topic for this thread, but as discussed before, it may not be advisable to change the wadding too much in these particular speakers.
    The same applies to all tuned (Reflex, Transmission Line and ABR) designs.

I suppose that it may be worthwhile using some bituminous damping in the inside panels as used in car deadening kits.
    In my B&W DM70's I glued door mats to the inside of rear panels to great effect, but I think that due to their thickness they would not be appropriate for the Dittons.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234