+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stand and deliver.

I'm Steve.

Default Stand and deliver.

I have been using an Ikea kitchen stand to house my gear for the past couple of years. My only gripe is that it won't house full width electronics on the shelves beneath. I realise to many that this will be an act of heresy as it does not fit in with the dedicated support ethos. however, my experience over the years having owned many of the different and expensive stands is that they don't deliver sonically. I do sense a lot of snake oil with regards to expensive equipment supports and stands. I would be interested in peoples views and also if people are using none kosher stands and supports. Would love to hear from you or even get some ideas from you. I have housed my support into my fireplace.

Cheers

The Petch

I'm Simon.

I use Ikea Lack. It works for me. My laptop, dac and amp don't seem to be affected by me slapping them, so why would they be affected by tiny vibrations from any other source? I have rubber feet under the front of my dac to tilt up the screen and rubber feet under my laptop because the fan vibrates through the LACK amplifying its mechanical noise. Nothing comes out of the speakers though.

My turntable is suitably isolated though with an air-bladder.

Some people claim to have great success with supports, I've never found it an issue.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Rob.

I have only ever bought second hand Sound Organization tables (some 3 shelf and some 5) mainly because years ago every one thought the black tubular steel look was not of the moment (or the wife gave them an ultimatum!)

As they were about £10 - £15 a pop I think they sound fine. I have no desire to ever use anything else.

Now....bring on the naysayers....
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Mike.

I've been looking into this of late, call it a coffee table, it's £150, call it a HiFi stand and the same thing is £800+. I've bought a 4000mm oak worktop, which is going to be turned into a very nice 4 tier unit costing £250ish.

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    I use Ikea Lack. It works for me. My laptop, dac and amp don't seem to be affected by me slapping them, so why would they be affected by tiny vibrations from any other source? I have rubber feet under the front of my dac to tilt up the screen and rubber feet under my laptop because the fan vibrates through the LACK amplifying its mechanical noise. Nothing comes out of the speakers though.

My turntable is suitably isolated though with an air-bladder.

Some people claim to have great success with supports, I've never found it an issue.
    We were in Ikea this norning Looking for ideas for the inpending house move.
    The Lack stuff is really good value and very strong and solid, the Tv stand would make a great hi/fi rack and they are only £45. I was thinking of getting 2 and just stacking them, that would house all my gear.
    Pete.

Main amp is an Electrocompaniat eci2 Sony qs930 cd, Sony tuner,Stan dac,modified x10d with little pinkie se and of course Quad esl57s fully serviced with much better legs and widgets. Sometimes swap to my kef reference 3s or Rogers pro9 Tls.

I'm sorted.

About £120 when I got this from Superfi, quite solid with glass shelves

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixpete View Post
    . . . the Tv stand would make a great hi/fi rack and they are only £45. I was thinking of getting 2 and just stacking them, that would house all my gear.
    Not sure who it was, but somebody else here has done that very same thing and was extremely pleased by the results.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

MartinT Guest

I was going to suggest IKEA Lack but obviously it's no secret. If you're not going to go to the giddy heights of my Sold Tech or Marco's Mana Mania, then a Lack or two seems like a good bet.

Always perform secondary isolation wherever you can, though. Examples are Isonoe feet under a Technics deck, sorbothane feet under small electronics like DACs, Aurios MIB bearings, Stillpoints/Vertax etc. If you're on a budget, go to e-Bay and buy a job-lot of medium size sorbothane dome feet and put them under everything. You will be surprised at what a difference such a cheap mod does to the sound.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Or go DIY & build a fridge

Seriously though, the Ikea Lack stuff looks the business, & if I didn't happen to be a DIY nerd I'd have probably gone the very same route
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Dave.

I built a couple of supports out of Lack coffee tables. Here's a photo from a couple of years ago:

Each layer is isolated from the other with spikes. They took a few days to modify but they've worked really well for over two years. The only down side is that they're not as strong as solid wood. So you have to place heavier equipment down gently and make sure that you don't over load them. Other than that they're great and an absolute bargain.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast