+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SL 1200/1210 PSU comparison

I'm Pedro.

Default SL 1200/1210 PSU comparison

Has anyone ever got the chance to compare the PSUs available for the Technics deck, like the Timestep, the MCrU, the Vantage Audio and the one from Paul Hynes? What were your thoughts or conclusions and which should be the best performance per pound upgrade from the bunch?

Also, has anyone tried to simply remove the internal PSU and place it an external box and compared it to one of the commercial external PSU from above?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulci View Post
    Has anyone ever got the chance to compare the PSUs available for the Technics deck, like the Timestep, the MCrU, the Vantage Audio and the one from Paul Hynes? What were your thoughts or conclusions and which should be the best performance per pound upgrade from the bunch?

Also, has anyone tried to simply remove the internal PSU and place it an external box and compared it to one of the commercial external PSU from above?
    Yes and still working on it. I had hoped to have this done a few weeks ago and indeed I did make a very interesting start at it but in order to finish I am still waiting for two psu's to come to me. I don't want to say more as I think to do so at this stage would only give half of the picture as there are factors I think at play which might make things a bit more complex than I had first thought. Lets just say I have possibly (note I say possibly) encountered a synergy issue that while a no brainer elsewhere in the hifi chain has so far to date, not I think, been mentioned before in context of modding Technics turntables. I won't be drawn more on this, at this stage, because without further broader exploration what I have found so far might be a blip and not consistent elsewhere. In other words I really don't want to say something that might latter be proven to be incorrect.

If one of the expected PSUs arrives soon (I hope) then I can put this phase of my Technics review project to bed fairly quickly.

Such are the issues with reviewing lots of bits and bobs from many diverse sources.

Be patient, it will be worth it.
    Regards Neil

I'm Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Yes and still working on it. I had hoped to have this done a few weeks ago and indeed I did make a very interesting start at it but in order to finish I am still waiting for two psu's to come to me. I don't want to say more as I think to do so at this stage would only give half of the picture as there are factors I think at play which might make things a bit more complex than I had first thought. Lets just say I have possibly (note I say possibly) encountered a synergy issue that while a no brainer elsewhere in the hifi chain has so far to date, not I think, been mentioned before in context of modding Technics turntables. I won't be drawn more on this, at this stage, because without further broader exploration what I have found so far might be a blip and not consistent elsewhere. In other words I really don't want to say something that might latter be proven to be incorrect.

If one of the expected PSUs arrives soon (I hope) then I can put this phase of my Technics review project to bed fairly quickly.

Such are the issues with reviewing lots of bits and bobs from many diverse sources.

Be patient, it will be worth it.
    Neil, you have an (un)enviable job with this PSU comparison but I've delayed de-commissioning my TS HE psu until I can be guided, to a degree, by your trials. The upper echelons on here on techy psu appear, to us lesser mortals, to hold the Paul Hynes psu in very high esteem and in high praise thereof, but those of us without a high disposable income, have to go the VFM and the best bang for the buck route so an evaluation such as you have undertaken means alot. Also, a potential buyer has to factor in his/her skill ability to fit and forget the psu without fear of blowing up a hard to replace PCB or to add to the initial cost of the PSU having to be shipped to a third party with know how and ability to do the job for you thus adding additional cost for their time and skill. Not all of us have a close at hand skilled in the art buddy to do the job for you and for free.

Meanwhile, praise to you for taking this job on and by the way was it you who had to contend with flooding as well?

Ron

PS I am aware that Richard of VA actually comes to your home and will fit everything for you, and the bloke lives in Somerset to boot, thats service of the old school for you.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulci View Post
    Yes and no respectively.
    Sticking the internal PSU into an external box brought a definite increase in resolution, and is highly recommended.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm David.

That's gotta be a long while coming Neil!
    Looking forward to reading that!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzBones View Post
    Neil, you have an (un)enviable job with this PSU comparison but I've delayed de-commissioning my TS HE psu until I can be guided, to a degree, by your trials. The upper echelons on here on techy psu appear, to us lesser mortals, to hold the Paul Hynes psu in very high esteem and in high praise thereof, but those of us without a high disposable income, have to go the VFM and the best bang for the buck route so an evaluation such as you have undertaken means alot. Also, a potential buyer has to factor in his/her skill ability to fit and forget the psu without fear of blowing up a hard to replace PCB or to add to the initial cost of the PSU having to be shipped to a third party with know how and ability to do the job for you thus adding additional cost for their time and skill. Not all of us have a close at hand skilled in the art buddy to do the job for you and for free.

Meanwhile, praise to you for taking this job on and by the way was it you who had to contend with flooding as well?

Ron

PS I am aware that Richard of VA actually comes to your home and will fit everything for you, and the bloke lives in Somerset to boot, thats service of the old school for you.
    Lots of fair points. The PSU's are generally very very easy to install, just dont try internal regulations. Learn from my mistakes.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzBones View Post

Ron

Hi Ron

Thankfully my house didn't flood but it came close had a few other issues to contend with recently which has delayed things a bit but I have a number of PSUs here and the means to listen to them all regardless of type of connection and I have done some listening.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    That's gotta be a long while coming Neil!
    Looking forward to reading that!
    Yes indeed Hamish it is but I want it to be right, with the correct ground work set in place and it has been that which has taken awhile to set up and get right.

I have three Technics decks now in place, numerous arms, power supplies + carts and platter mats etc and hopefully soon another platter to compare.
    Regards Neil

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Neil, you need to hear an SR7 (in conjunction with Paul's reg mods) before you can come to any meaningful conclusion on just how influential the best external PSUs are in allowing the Techy to realise its full sonic potential.

Trust me, until you've heard that, all the other solutions (in comparison) are 'Toytown'. Of course, much depends on your budget, but if you want the best......

Anyway, I look forward to reading your impressions in due course!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Pedro,

I'll answer your question properly tomorrow. Just off to bed!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast