+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My new (vintage) Tannoy Cheviots!

I'm Geoff.

The damaged plinth is now repaired and refinished in a slightly stippled satin black to match the original finish and I found the type of hard feet I wanted. The other plinth will be redone to match.

As can be seen, the front is different to the HPD equiped Cheviots. Note the sagging surround. Both are like this.

Here's the removed driver. You can see the Girdacoustic radial bracing ribs are glued over the surround and right up to the back of the cone's edge. That'll be fun to detatch and refix!

Next job is removing the cone and fitting the new surround.

More photos soon.

Geoff.

I'm frank.

Hi, FWIW the LRM had pleated doped fabric surrounds but more importantly a much lighter girder free cone,http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy40.htm another thing to bear in mind is that Tannoy 15's and 12's are under size ie if fitting a standard 12" surround it will be too big.
    Regards
    Frank

I'm Geoff.

Yes, I know there are options, but I've heard these working and they sound really superb with no sign of the wooden midrange that can afflict the Girdacoustic HPDs, so I want to stick with these nicely broken in cones if I can. Hopefully the voicecoils and formers are not distorted.

The 12" cones actually seem to be larger than most of the surrounds I've seen, but I've found some that fit perfectly.

I'm frank.

I was referring to the fact that spider,cone and surround work together.
    Dropping a tannoplas surround on them should return them to 3128 K-series T&S spec, dropping an unknown double roll surround in all probability won't.

I'm Geoff.

A double roll fabric surround is used on this cone in other models very successfully. The one I'm using is more pliant the the Tannoy version and should allow a resonance around that of the Tanoplas original. I will dope the reverse of the surround to try and match the termination damping too. I'm not that concerned by the non-originality. I'm sure it will all work fine.

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    A double roll fabric surround is used on this cone in other models very successfully. The one I'm using is more pliant the the Tannoy version and should allow a resonance around that of the Tanoplas original. I will dope the reverse of the surround to try and match the termination damping too. I'm not that concerned by the non-originality. I'm sure it will all work fine.
    I see you are a Tannoy fan ;-).
    I've owned and used, serviced, reconed, refoamed and rebuilt, DC's in almost every iteration over the past 40 years and yep hard edge is the latest DC cone termination, nickyp442 on eBay says he has the original hard edge surrounds if you are interested.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Frank,

Good to see you, matey. You need to pop in here more often and leave Serge (and that lot) to it on pfm!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Frank,

Good to see you, matey. You need to pop in here more often and leave Serge (and that lot) to it on pfm!

Marco.
    Ho ho will do!

Frank

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky View Post
    I see you are a Tannoy fan ;-).
    I've owned and used, serviced, reconed, refoamed and rebuilt, DC's in almost every iteration over the past 40 years and yep hard edge is the latest DC cone termination, nickyp442 on eBay says he has the original hard edge surrounds if you are interested.
    No, the harder surrounds are not for me. The surrounds I've got should do nicely. This is my first Tannoy rebuild but I've done many other drive unit overhauls and repairs. KEF B139 surrounds are fun to replace!
    Last edited by walpurgis; 17-08-2012 at 20:57.

I'm Geoff.

Today,

the connector and rear spider bolts are now removed and the tweeter wires unsoldered. Don't ever try to screw the bolts back in their holes for safekeeping because if you drop a washer it may go into the coil gap and you'll never get it out!

The point of no return. Cutting through the old surround with a scalpel. Make sure the rear spider is completely free before withdrawing the cone.

Corrosion in the horn mouth. I'll have to find a way of removing it without contaminating the tweeter or getting metal particles on the magnetic surfaces.

Scraping off the sticky goo remains of the old surround.

Having freed the ends of the cone braces, I'm removing the trapped remnants of the surrounds from under the strut ends with needle nosed tweezers.

A clean cone, ready for the new surround!

The new surround popped loosely in place prior to gluing. Its a perfect fit.

Last edited by walpurgis; 19-08-2012 at 21:59.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast