+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My new (vintage) Tannoy Cheviots!

I'm Geoff.

I think you might be surprised at how many Cheviots and Chatsworths (which the stands would also fit) survive intact and are still in use. No obvious way of telling though.

I'm Jay.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm not sure there's enough custom to make a reliable business model. However, if you do give it a go, sign me up.

I'm Geoff.

Just a couple of snaps showing progress.

One of the damaged plinth, showing the rebuilt woodwork. It is now back to the correct height to match the other speaker, its just waiting for a bit more filler and paint.

You can also see in the photo that my cabinet repolishing has come along well, the veneer looks great.

The other shot is of one speaker back. I'm filling in the small cracks where the cabinet joints are. They were originally dressed with filler by Tannoy during manufacture, but movement and jarring over the years have disturbed it. This happens with all HPD type cabinets.

The black finish on the plinths and backs has a slightly stippled textured paint. To reproduce this look I'm sponge dabbing on tile grout mixed with PVA glue and then sealing it with wood hardener prior to respraying with satin black acrylic.

I think I've found a suitable treatment for reproducing the original clear 'tacky' coating on the cone surrounds. I'll reveal what it is after experimenting.

A couple of non standard items are on order: rectangular glide feet for the plinths (I'm not using spikes or stands at the moment and these look like a reasonable option). Also I've had a couple of "3128" badges made up in black. I may glue these to the front of the plinths, just to indicate the model.

Still waiting for cone surrounds and adhesives, Coming from China and USA!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Simon.

Satin black paint, put on with a short haired roller, then do another coat just before it goes off, it's the same finish on the back of the ES14's.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Geoff.

Ah, but I'm not using oil based satin finish. Aerosol acrylic for me, I've used it many times and it gives the finish I want. Its quick and easy too.

Full size photos of renovation due when progress is in full swing.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 06-08-2012 at 20:38.

I'm Geoff.

Double roll fabric surrounds are standard on the 12" Tannoy SRM and LRM monitors, they also seem to be provided as standard replacements for 10" & 12" Tannoys by Lockwood Audio. I'm not keen on castors. I had Chatsworths, nice speaker, did you know there were four different versions?

I'm Geoff.

I believe I have my facts straight. The first Chatsworth used the 12" Monitor Red, followed by the monitor gold with corrugated integral cone surround, then the Monitor Gold with rubber roll surround (I have seen Chatsworths with foam roll surrounds too) and for a brief period, prior to the Cheviot being released, the HPD315 was employed.

These double roll fabric surrounds are quite thin and more flexible than the Tannoy SRM type and their pliablity and potential extension look to be similar to the original roll surround. I shall reverse dope them to include temination damping.

I'm andy.

Thank you, i'll think about surgery sometime in the future, i am the 3rd owner of these and 2nd owner told he and the original owner never opened her up before,
    he also told me they were Gold's and i took his word for it.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Geoff.

Problems with the Monitor Gold surrounds are rare unless you have the foam examples which are not common.

I'm Jay.

Lockwood will recone HPDs with "hard edge" roll surrounds, or original foam. It's a full recone though - I don't think they do just the surround anymore. There are significant sonic differneces between "hard edge" and foam. The former is apparently closer to (but not exactly) Golds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast