+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: My new (vintage) Tannoy Cheviots!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Nien twas PL C1700..
    You may be right Andre,

but if I recall the 71 came out a year or two later and then took top position.

Strangely, neither are in my 1971 or 1972 Hi-Fi Yearbooks.

I'll have to have a rummage, I think I've got seventies Pioneer brochures somewhere, which may have details.

Geoff.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You may be right Andre,

but if I recall the 71 came out a year or two later and then took top position.

Strangely, neither are in my 1971 or 1972 Hi-Fi Yearbooks.

I'll have to have a rummage, I think I've got seventies Pioneer brochures somewhere, which may have details.

Geoff.
    I think the 'PL71' was indeed 1974..I not 100% up on Jap products but the 'PL71' could have, as you say later replaced the '1700' as the top model in the range.

I'm Geoff.

Well, I've been living with the renovated 3128 Chatsworth II speakers for couple of months now and have got acclimatised to their abilities, they just seem to get better every time I use them. They sound gorgeous

I've had many pairs of vintage Tannoys, some better than others, but these are by far and away the best sounding I've owned. You know when you hear a really good pair of Tannoys, the whole presentation is very smooth and transparent, nothing draws attention to itself across the whole audible range.

I've just been spinning a few CDs and the sound is very, very musical and ambient, the way female vocals come across is absolutely fantastic, so natural. The bass is all there, but doesn't draw attention because it is clean bass. You just could not ask for better detail presentation. This is bliss!

Bigman80 Guest

Wow,. Great thread Geoff. Superb work. I'll know where to send mine when I pull the trigger and buy some !!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Ha. Just listening to them right now .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

I've heard Geoff's Tannoy's more than a dozen times. They certainly work well in his humble small listening room. The separation and detail retrieval from these Tannoy's are all brilliant.

Great midrange too!

S.

Bigman80 Guest

I'm green with envy ! They certainly look the nuts anyway.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Dee.

Hi Geoff.... I managed to pick up a pair of original Cheviot cabinets that I'm going to transfer the speakers and
    crossovers from my existing Devons.
    I'm in the process of preparing the cabinet before applying Danish oil... so far so good !! Unfortunately the cabinets
    don't have any plinths and I was hoping you could supply me with the size specifications and what wood they are made
    of....
    thanks Dee

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dee View Post
    Hi Geoff.... I managed to pick up a pair of original Cheviot cabinets that I'm going to transfer the speakers and
    crossovers from my existing Devons.
    I'm in the process of preparing the cabinet before applying Danish oil... so far so good !! Unfortunately the cabinets
    don't have any plinths and I was hoping you could supply me with the size specifications and what wood they are made
    of....
    thanks Dee
    Hello Dee. I can't access the plinths at the moment. They are set down into the short box stands my Tannoys are on and I have mountains of stuff in the way at present (and as usual ). However, I believe they are 50mm high and set back from the cabinet front and side edges approximately 18mm. They meet the cabinet edge at the rear though. Any decent hardwood should do the job. Something like Beech or Ramin maybe.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dee.

Thanks for the swift response... will start making up the plinths tomorrow...
    Cheers Dee
    System... THORENS TD160 Super in Purpose built plinth.

SME 3009 S2 improved ,Van Den Hul hybrid interconnect and rewired by J7 at Audio Origami with Vdh silver wire.

ARKLESS 640P Phono amp..Currently using Denon Dl103
    But have Denon dl110 HoMc cartridge....Shure v15 111. as reserves

YAMAHA Cr2020 receiver overhauled and upgraded by Select 45rpm

Denon dvd 3910(transport) Monarchy Audio M22C Dac..
    Monarchy Audio Dip Classic

Tannoy Cheviot speakers ( cones and surround replaced by Lockwood)

TEAC X1000R r2r

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011