+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cable question

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Hi Jerry,
    For what little extra it will cost in the overall price of doing the job, I'd be inclined to go this route: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CABLE-PATC...item2c64e8a805

Who knows what the future may hold in this area and you might as well be as prepared as you can be for ongoing developments. I practice what I preach in that my house (bungalow with an accessible 4' 'cellar' ) is totally wired with a mixture of Cat 5e and Cat6 as when each bit was done that was the best available at that time. I've also got a selection of long masonary drills you can borrow as well .
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    Just goes to show that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing Dave.

Cat7 is the last thing on earth that Jerry needs to go near.
    The screens all make the most wonderful radio aerial if they're not properly grounded, which they won't be in a domestic environment.

For what it's worth Cat5e is more than capable of carrying Gigabit LAN, and Cat6 is only necessary in "difficult" installations.
    I've only once had to install Cat6 because Cat5e wouldn't support Gigabit data transmission, and I suspect that the railway line running along the back of the premises was the cause of the problem.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Jerry.

Thanks for reminding me Chris, I was demented a while ago because of screening on a Cat cable causing interference on my headphone amp; going to unscreened sorted it.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Just goes to show that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing Dave.

Cat7 is the last thing on earth that Jerry needs to go near.
    Hi Chris,
    So that's another subject to add to the long list of things I know just enough about to be dangerous .
    Just out of interest, what application fuelled the demand for Cat 7? And is Cat 8 on it's way?
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Hi Chris,
    So that's another subject to add to the long list of things I know just enough about to be dangerous .
    Just out of interest, what application fuelled the demand for Cat 7? And is Cat 8 on it's way?
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    Cat7 development was driven by very hostile data transfer environments.
    A good example could be a major retail outlet next door to a major broadcast transmitter.

The transmitter could cause major data dropouts in the retail outlet, which could result in serious accounting errors.

Cat7 cabling has a lot of screening, all of which is bonded to the main electrical earthing terminal.
    It's bonded at both ends of the cable, and the effect is to make the cable effectively immune to RF ingress.
    The building electrical outlets are bonded to the same earthing terminal.
    All of the devices plugged into the network also have special connections through to the main earth.
    Basically everything on the network - computers, network switches and routers - everything is tied to ground.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Jerry.

I got the ethernet cable installed today. Not much fun climbing through the loft on a sunny day but it's in and it works. I connected the cable to my Panasonic bluray player and updated the firmware but access to the internet is very limited-You tube and something called Blue Motion.
    So now I have to wait for TalkTalk to launch their YouView player and I can tell Sky to pop off.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12