+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable question

I'm Jerry.

Default Cable question

Can a telephone extension cable be used as an ethernet cable and if so, is there a suitable adaptor plug? I need to get an ethernet cable to where my Sky box is (as its to be replaced with something else) and routing the cable is going to be a bugger.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Can a telephone extension cable be used as an ethernet cable
    I'd be surprised if it worked.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm fabulous.

Can a telephone extension cable be used as an ethernet cable and if so, is there a suitable adaptor plug? I need to get an ethernet cable to where my Sky box is (as its to be replaced with something else) and routing the cable is going to be a bugger.
    Simple answer is no. If you are having problems routing the cable then the only alternative is to consider WIFI or one of the power distribution systems.

I have used a WIFI extender before to not only extend the range of my wifi (it was a big house) but also provide network points far away from where the internet comes into the building.

The power based ethernet I have little experience with - but have heard reasonable reports. Read more here:
    Amazon UK
    lossless > Raspberry PI-3b+ > allo Boss > Van Damme Purple interconnect >
    Myryad Z210 CD Player > Chord Chameleon Silver+ interconnect >

into Magnum IA170 amplifier > Van Damme Blue 4mm cable > Mission 752 Freedom Floorstanders
    Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-back

I'm Andrew.

I used the spare wires in the telephone cable Sky put in to the Sky box to extend my wireless router. From that I connected via ethernet to the Sky box in order to use Anytime+. For Anytime+ you still need a telephone connecton so the wires that were left remained the telephone connection to the Sky box. The single telephone extension, therefore, became telephone and ethenet. You just need to make sure the internal wires go to the right pins in the connector. So the short answer is yes I think you could make it work.

I'm Andrew.

P.S. It goes without saying that you have to chop into the cable and either use the ends of old connectors like I did or new connectors.

I'm Jerry.

I am planning to replace the Sky box with a Humax freeview box (free from Talktalk). This will require a broadband connection I believe. Don't fancy the powerline thingy as it will need to be a really good connection for HD stuff.
    Looks like I will have to use the Sky telephone wire as a drawstring to pull through a Cat 5 cable. As Talktalk will charge £50 for installation should I leave it up to them?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

As Talktalk will charge £50 for installation should I leave it up to them?
    I can't see that charge covering the cost of installing a LAN cable.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm fabulous.

It really is better if you can go the Cat5 route. Obviously, I don't know the actual problems you face (that is, distance, layout, solid floors etc?) but don't forget there is such a thing as flat cat5 cable.

Amazon 10m flat cat5 cable

This has been a great solution for me in the past and I am currently using a length of this running alongside a carpet gripper strip to get a network connection to my NAS box. Ordinary CAT5 would cause a ridge in the carpet... not this stuff, your wouldn't know its there at all. At my parents house I laid two lengths of this down before my Dad and I laid down some hardwood flooring - again a great solution.
    lossless > Raspberry PI-3b+ > allo Boss > Van Damme Purple interconnect >
    Myryad Z210 CD Player > Chord Chameleon Silver+ interconnect >

into Magnum IA170 amplifier > Van Damme Blue 4mm cable > Mission 752 Freedom Floorstanders
    Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-back

I'm Confused.

Hi Jerry,
    For what little extra it will cost in the overall price of doing the job, I'd be inclined to go this route: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CABLE-PATC...item2c64e8a805

Who knows what the future may hold in this area and you might as well be as prepared as you can be for ongoing developments. I practice what I preach in that my house (bungalow with an accessible 4' 'cellar' ) is totally wired with a mixture of Cat 5e and Cat6 as when each bit was done that was the best available at that time. I've also got a selection of long masonary drills you can borrow as well .
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Jerry.

And you say I am made of money Dave! The flat stuff looks good though, thanks for pointing it out chaps.
    The problem is getting it down the gap between a chimney breast and the plasterboard on top of it which, I think, is fixed by dabs of adhesive. It took me a day to get the telephone wire in place.
    Jerry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast