+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major iMac problems, help and advice needed.

I'm Lee.

Glad you got to the bottom of it Steve.

Disk Utility is a good built in app, but it's not heavy duty and something like Diskwarrior may have shown up errors that DU could not in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    A new SSD drive is on it's way and will get fitted shortly.
    Oooh, SSD! Get you!
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Lee.

Even though using a USB drive is going to be slower than an internal one, the old iMac was immediately able to run Dreamweaver, iTunes, Aperture, Photoshop, Creative Suite, Spotify AND all the Office products at the same time with hardly a moments pause.
    I have other OS's installed on a USB drive for testing and whatnot and I find it runs pretty well, although I've not used them in this way for very long.
    Lee

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Last.fm

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Glad you got to the bottom of it Steve.

Disk Utility is a good built in app, but it's not heavy duty and something like Diskwarrior may have shown up errors that DU could not in this instance.

Oooh, SSD! Get you!
    It's only a little one 120GB which was only £75 from Amazon, so don't get too excited! Nothing apart from OS Apps and pics is on the iMac, all else is on a network drive, so it's speed rather than storage we need.

If I'm impressed though I might start considering them for our other machines now that prices seem to be coming down.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Lee.

It's only a little one 120GB which was only £75 from Amazon
    That's not bad. Where are you going to fit it?
    Lee

Last.fm

I'm Steve.

That's not bad. Where are you going to fit it?
    I'll be using it as the OS and Applications drive on the 24" iMac. All of our bulky data is on a Drobo, so space isn't really an issue.

If it performs well, I'll consider them for our other machines.

I'll let you know what I think of it.
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Steve.

If any one is interested, I can confirm that sticking an SSD into an early 2008 MacBook (not Pro) has given it a serious boost in performance.

EVERYTHING is better. Start-up, shut-down, opening and closing applications, all massively faster. In fact opening and closing apps is almost instant.

As a test I raced my 4 yr old MacBook against Susy's new MacBook Pro, with it's 8Gb RAM and 2.3 i5 processor in a start-up of MS Office for Mac, Word. My Word app was fully open while Susy's 'W' ico was still bouncing in the dock.

Seriously chaps, if you don't need big storage on your machine or can store large data on an external drive, DO give an SSD a go.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Lee.

Steve, did you fit it in place of the MacBook's original HD?
    Lee

Last.fm

I'm Steve.

Steve, did you fit it in place of the MacBook's original HD?
    Yep, straight swap and then restored from a Carbon Copy back-up
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12