+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Digital Impressions of the Caiman yet?

Default Any Digital Impressions of the Caiman yet?

I have noticed that none of the early Caiman owners have even posted on AoS in the last day or so... You think there could be a reason for that?

STan

I'm Confused.

Hi Stan,
    What are you suggesting that they might be doing that could possibly be more important than posting on AoS??
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Hi Stan,
    What are you suggesting that they might be doing that could possibly be more important than posting on AoS??
    Cheers,
    Just curious if there is a connection.

Stan

I'm Confused.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    Just curious if there is a connection.

Stan
    Hi Stan,
    I was trying to be funny - hope I didn't fail too badly - I fully realise the connection you were trying to make .
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Jerry.

There is one word thats explains why they haven't posted-engrossed.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm David.

i can think of other words that might describe what they might be doing ... i have noticed some people on here take they hifi VERY seriously ...... il leave that comment to interpretation

I'm Gary.

steady....
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm David.

heh

i do of course have my name on a caiman ..... and im selling some bonds to buy one..... so i cant really talk!!
    Last edited by The Vinyl Adventure; 26-07-2009 at 13:19.

I'm Richard.

Well, my WM8716 chips turned up from Farnell this morning so I set about straight away modding my 7520.

Now I have a 7520 using a Wolfson WM8716 DAC chip 4562 op amps in both sockets and the MLC5/6 mod. So I guess pretty close to a Caiman.

I've had a few songs to get an initial impression and now I'm going to leave it run in for a while. I'm not going to spoil anyone's fun by listing what I think are the improvements so far, I'm just going to leave you with two words for now...

HOLY CRAP! (that's in a good way by the way)
    Rich

My Caiman arrived on Friday before lunch (thx Stan). I had a quick listen to it (HD650 headphones) before burn-in or even warm up - I had to go out on Friday night. With the original tc7520, the sound gradually improves as the stan-cap (TM) fills up with charge but the Caiman sounded pretty good right from the off.

I then left it on burn-in (feeding it with random tracks from foobar) overnight and most of Saturday afternoon before listening again. The improvements in tonality and separation are not subtle.

I will reserve my full comments until I have spent some time with the Caiman. My initial reaction however is that the improved Wolfson DAC and stans other mods have made a very worthwhile improvement to an already excellent DAC.

Ade

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast