+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Tannoy Super Gold Monitor SGM 12X

I'm Leigh.

Default FS: Tannoy Super Gold Monitor SGM 12X

Reconed by Lockwood Audio in 2005 (receipt available) and only used domestically since then.

Similar to Super Red Monitors but with updated crossovers and improved switchgear.

The usual cabinets imperfections expected given it's former studio life but no lumps missing etc. Some staining on top of one as per picture.

I have the grilles.

Collection only from Chelmsford, Essex.

£800

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Now these have the later crossovers and should offer a smoother sound than the little screamers they replaced
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Leigh.

I have never found them harsh unless pointed directly at me when there can be a slight upper-mid zing. Toed out a little they are very smooth and can be listened to loud for long periods without fatigue.

I'm Leigh.

^^^

I'm Leigh.

Withdrawn from sale. Set them up for a potential buyer who didn't turn up but they sound so great I have to keep them.

I'm Geoff.

Good for you!

I'm andy.

Geoff & Dave,

Are these the same drivers as in my Chatsworth's and could the same crossovers be implemented to lift the Chatsworth's performance?.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Geoff.

No, the Chatsworth was fitted with Monitor Red to start with, then Monitor Gold, then for a very short period HPD 315, prior to being superceded by the Cheviot.

SGM, LRM, SRM, dual concentrics etc. are of a different, later family of drive units, with very different crossover.

The Monitor Gold Chatsworth is the most common variant and was a very nice speaker. It is best just lightly upgraded with modern capacitors in the crossover, better internal cabling and a clean up of the tweeter level and roll-off switch contacts with lubricating switch cleaner (always test on a small area of plastic first as some react).
    Last edited by walpurgis; 19-08-2012 at 19:30.

I'm andy.

Thanks Geoff, you know my finger was hovering over the 'PM' button to Leigh thinking these might shade my Chatsworth,
    in your opinion, which is better or are we splitting hairs?.

p.s. mod & Leigh, i hope this wee conversation is alright as the sale is withdrawn, last question.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Geoff.

They will sound a little different to the Chatsworths, as they have the truncated horn assembly used with the ceramic magnet, but they will no doubt sound as superb as the 3128 Cheviots I'm refurbishing as they use a slightly different version of the same driver.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast