+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgraded wall sockets

I'm fuckoff.

Default Upgraded wall sockets

Has anyone done this, gone from a generic wall socket with power switches to an upgraded switchless Furutech one (for example). I know the best thing to do is upgrade all of your mains supply (like Marco and John) but thats out of the question for me right now.

If yes, what benefits (if any) have you derived from the change?

Are they subtle or significant?

What models did you use and why?

Cheers gang.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Martin,

Yes, the Furutech sockets work and provide a notable sonic improvement, but they're really just for adding the 'icing to the cake', as it were, once every other aspect of your mains set-up has been sorted, therefore to be honest, your money would be much better spent on something else, like this if it's still available for sale:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...797#post341797

Later, you could then upgrade the sockets for Furutech ones, as I have on my Mark Grant mains block. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the sockets on your current block are fixed?

If you really want to fiddle with wall sockets, then in my experience, the best sound-per-pound option is The Missing Link EPS-100 Ultrapure Silver plated (un-switched) wall sockets, shown here:

http://www.the-missing-link.net/new_page_1.htm

If you scroll down, you'll see some measurable proof of their sockets having considerably lower resistance than bog standard generic sockets from B&Q, or whatever, and even supposedly high-quality ones from MK! On the left is the measurement from the Missing Link socket, and on the right, one from from MK:

I've carried out those sorts of measurements before, with my friendly electrician, when we were optimising my mains set-up, and trust me you can hear the sonic improvements of lowered resistance!

Right down at the bottom of the page are prices, which I consider are very reasonable (considerably less than the Furutech stuff). I would also go for the matching 13A plugs, which are likely to be a good physical fit with the partnering wall sockets.

Try that, and you'll be a happy bunny!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andy.

System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

Lol, why the popcorn, Andy?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adam.

Well, I can't speak for Andy, but possibly because he has the same thoughts as me, namely that the resistance of the length of mains cable itself is likely to be greater than 5.1mOhm - it certainly will be once you take into consideration fuse contacts and the equipment connector pins at the other end of the cable. Therefore the measurements they show are pretty, but meaningless.

Also, their measurement is on the earth pin - no current flows through this and if the equipment is double insulated, it's not even connected!

To Martin, if you're worried about your mains then invest in a decent mains regenerator unit (NOT filter) to plug your amplifier into. This will make a far bigger difference than faffing around with your wall sockets!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

...yes, but it'll also be a damned sight more expensive!

Regarding your point about the measurements, sure, however, I've heard the difference that lowering resistance makes anywhere in the mains supply chain, including the removal and/or upgrading of plugs and sockets, and while the sonic improvement is undoubtedly subtle, in comparison with that obtained by employing the use of a mains regenerator, IMO, it's worthwhile. All these little improvements add up, and so the benefits are cumulative!

Martin, after all, will only have to do this once, and he'll then have the base he needs (decent sockets) from which to embark on a major upgrade of his mains set-up, and in the meantime obtain a nice sonic improvement from a relatively inexpensive little tweak, which I suspect was the whole purpose of him posting this thread

Marco.
    Main System

I'm fuckoff.

Cheers Marco, some interesting food for thought; I'll report back when I've made some changes.

Ps. Thanks for advising I take my PC and monitor out of the power loop of my stereo; the detail it resolves is impressive having gone back through some tunes I've not listened to for a long time, lots more from nowhere!

No worries, dude - glad it worked!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Confused.

FWIW I suspect that any benefit you might gain from changing the wall socket for a silver plated upgrade one might not be audible if the rest of your kit isn't up to taking advantage of it. I have replaced a normal MK wall socket for a silver plated (unswitched) one and could not hear any benefits.
    In mitigation I would say that my ears are not in 'as new' condition, my kit is not top of any range and a Belkin PF40 is plugged into the wall socket and everything is fed from that.
    On the other hand this has not stopped me from hearing changes brought about by changing i/cs or valves or op-amps - you pays your money and .... .
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

Indeed, Dave. As they say: 'suck it and see'!

I've always been one for assessing anything in audio from a position of practical experience, rather than cynically dismissing the efficacy of something, based on mere technical theory

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast