+ Reply to Thread

Thread: iPod Digital Out

Default iPod Digital Out

As understand it the iPod will provide a digital output to go to a higher quality external DAC. It is available from the docking connector, but only if the receiver uses a proprietary protocol that is only available to third part manufactures on payment of a licence fee.

I cannot see that this is in Apple's short or long term interest. It must be in their interest to see the iPod used in as many situations as possible. Surely it would be better unlocked, and yet better still if the jack-out also provided S/PDIF as in their laptops and Minis?
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Jim.

As far as I know only the Wadia dock can utilise this at present.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

Quote Originally Posted by trailer View Post
    As far as I know only the Wadia dock can utilise this at present.
    That too is my belief. What can Apple hope to gain? Did they think third part manufacturers would rush to licence use of the digital out?

Clearly they are not, so would not Apple be wise to make the feature available freely?

So also their refusal to allow the iPod to play open standard files like FLAC and OGG - they complain enough about Microsoft's closed file formats in office software.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Jim.

Seconded.

As an aside I'm trying to get a bottom dock LOD cable to run out of an iPhone that actually works (not just for an iPod). Has anyone had any success sourcing one?
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    So also their refusal to allow the iPod to play open standard files like FLAC and OGG - they complain enough about Microsoft's closed file formats in office software.
    Use Rockbox alternative firmware. Works a treat even on old-school iPods. FLAC, SNH, APE and OGG support plus all the usual lossy flavours...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Jim.

Reading through the Rockbox site I can't see anywhere of a mention about the iPods digital out being enabled?
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

I'm Nick.

You're right - I was just referring to the FLAC / OGG playback question

Rockbox will probably reverse engineer the digital out functionality at some point. I must admit that until I read this thread I didn't even realise the iPod had such a thing. Mine's an old 2G machine
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Jim.

No worries Im guessing you'd still need a bespoke cable/interface or something anyway!
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Rockbox will probably reverse engineer the digital out functionality at some point.
    I look forward to that.

I think the docking station has to send a special code to the iPod.
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread