+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goodmans

I'm Steve.

Chaps, chaps....no need to fight...LOL

I will have another look later, I just did not want to damage them trying to get a peep..

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

No fighting intended.
    Time to be a bit adventurous, methinks.

I'm Steve.

Adventurous? or rash?

Hmmm....

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Don't be a big girl - get in there and do what needs to be done!

Whip their 'kegs' off and have a peek at their furry bits

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

OK. After a failed second attempt at a full frontal assault, I thought an attack from the rear would be more successful (!).

I removed the many screws that secured the back, and then...nothing. They appear to have been glued! I bent my best steel rule trying to prize it open, but like the oyster in John Stienbecks novel, it was obvious I wasn't going to get to this pearl easily.

So, I screwed some "bigger" screws into a few of the now vacant holes and got out Old Faithful - the claw hammer!. After some effing and jeffing finally the cover came off... and this is what I saw..

After wrenching out the foam we are left with...

Here is a CD for scale, that is a whopper of a cast basket there.... oh, you can see where the front panel is BOLTED on from inside...good job I went for another option!

and...the money shot....

Last edited by aquapiranha; 27-01-2009 at 20:13.

Oooh... Defo not a 'fur coat and nae knickers', job! Quite a nice pair of 'panties', there!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm steve.

the large bass driver looks like an audium 51 without the magnet cover fitted

its very hard to say without comparing.. the magnet strength is the key...
    dont know enough about the smaller drivers to comment

i bought a single 201 speaker ( same as the 51 but with a wizzer) and that sounded so much more life like without the cabinet back in place, i was suprised, the bass output was not much less

steve
    Last edited by SPS; 28-01-2009 at 13:08.
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

It looks like quality to me, Steve, and a very nice little acquisition

With some judicious tweaking to some crossover components (upgrading caps, etc) they should be a truly fab pair of speakers.

Steve (Aqua), what stands did you say you were using again?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Marco. Stands? you must be referring to the small sealed full rangers I had them sat on as a temporary measure!

I think you may be right, they are certainly well built and use good quality drivers etc. but I am not sure...I have at the moment 5 pairs of speakers, and I can only use one at a time!

LOL. If you're not using them on proper stands then you've probably only heard about 60-70% of their potential!

If I were you I would try to obtain some inexpensive second-hand speaker stands on Ebay or somewhere so that you can assess things properly. You need ones that get the tweeters at ear height from your seating position, keep the speakers absolutely rigid and level, and also decoupled from the floor. I would suggest some lightweight 'open frame' metal types with spikes. This will make a HUGE difference.

Don't settle for half-measures, my man - do the job right!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast