+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goodmans

I'm Steve.

well I have had them powered with the stand in arcam alpha 3 amplifier, and they sound very good considering the age of them (I don't know but imagine the crossover components could do with a bit of tlc?) when cranked up they could easily pass for a good quality floorstander from some modern manufacturers.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Not bad for freebies, then!

I suspect that they're quite insensitive, though, and may need some driving...

Considering their size, I bet that the bass is good, too! Have you checked the cone surrounds for any possible rotting?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

I do have the specs for them, I will check the sensetivity. as for checking the drive units, it looks like they do not have removable grilles, so I am not sure yet - don't want to damage them by forcing them...
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

There should be some way of getting them off - of if not it's 'rear entry' case, but it's something I'd definitely be having a look at.

Regarding sensitivity, I'd expect them to be somewhere around 85db.

You'll need some decent stands though to hear them at their best - what are you using at the moment?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

The grills should come off!... see pic below.

http://www.valveaudio.co.nz/photo_gallery/goodmans.htm
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm InSpace.

Hang on...

The one with the grill off is probably a different speaker... Sorry!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

And it is, ya eejit!

There must be some way of getting at the drive units, though...

Marco.

P.S And it's: "grilles" - we're not talking about your favourite type of barbecue
    Main System

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    And it is, ya eejit!

P.S And it's: "grilles" - we're not talking about your favourite type of barbecue
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Sometime speakers from this era have the backs screwed on, if not then the front surely must come off. Could be velcro.

I'm Andy.

I think I remember these.
    They're a three way design with a sort of dopped 12" paper bass driver and a rather well made paper (blue I think ) mid driver and cone tweeter.
    I think the latter versions had a less well made mid but used a dome tweeter.

I have a pair of the later type in the workshop but they have the 8" bass unit.
    The fronts on these are fixed with velcro.Not sure if yours are the same.
    I use them with a little 5 watt single ended valve amp with plenty of volume
    so they must be quite efficient.I suspect yours would be similar

They tend to have a warm sound with some mid bloom which is quite nice really.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.
    Last edited by pentode10; 27-01-2009 at 17:03.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast