+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bush 1960 Record Player

I'm Tony.

Default Bush 1960 Record Player

Hi All,

I went on a trip down memory lane at the weekend. Braved the ladder to climb into the loft at my Mum's house and located my late Sister's old Bush record player! (I knew it was there, having stored it away around 20 years ago!)

I had thought it would be ruined but no, it seems to be in actually very good shape. Would it still work? I had my doubts. To make sure nothing would immediately pop I opened it up to see if I could determine the state of the components. It's in wonderful condition, a bit of fluff but other than that looking good. Three valves, only two caps that I can see, probably both paper in oil. ()

Anyway, I turned it on! It works! Turntable is a little rumbly (It needs lubing and I must check out the bearings and idler wheel) but it still works after all these years. Wow, they knew how to build them in those days! It sounds really quite nice too. It's an old Bush from around 1960, mono but with a stereo compatible cartridge.

I've done some Googling on them but I can't find any of the same model as this. Most seem to be the newer squarer boxy shape, this one is two tone grey with rounded corners. I wonder if it's worth selling? It would require a refurb for good measure just to ensure that the bearing doesn't get wrecked or the caps explode.

I have a lot of good memories of listening to my Sis playing music on it all during growing up so it's got some sentimental value but where to store it? Stick it back in the loft for another 20 years?

Some pics:

ps. Just found out it's a 1961 model. Same as me!
    Last edited by Tony Moore; 23-01-2009 at 10:46. Reason: added year

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Very nice, Tony - a veritable classic!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Looks in great nick Tony,sure it must be worth a good bit.I reckon there's a lot of people who collect such things.

I think the value depends mostly on the rarity.
    I put a Dansette on Ebay a while back, but despite being in very good nick it didn't reach a very modest reserve. Probably it was a fairly common model.
    Good luck.

I'm Nick.

Tony, have you tried asking about this over on the UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum - there is a very knowledgeable bunch over there and despite the name it caters well for old tape recorders and turntables. Someone is bound to know more about your machine.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Tony.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for that link, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Cheers,
    Tony

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

None of you are old enough, but at Junior school we had a "Goodsell" record player which sat on a speaker cabinet on castors (10" or 12" full range driver). The finish was in a birch or similar and the turntable as a black (or plain-chocolate brown) Garrard TA2 like the one in this record player. All that country dancing we did to the sounds emanating from this record player

Mind you, when we had a term in the "Temperance Hall" back in 1964, we actually used a wind up gramophone playing 78's.......

P.S. These days, country dancing is for girls only and my knees are giving out - Stannah Stair-lift here we come... (all those Isobariks I carried upstairs on my own years ago )
    Last edited by DSJR; 23-01-2009 at 23:19.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ChrisB.

It's an old Bush from around 1960, mono but with a stereo compatible cartridge
    Am I the first to say "I had one of those!" ???

+ Reply to Thread