+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quadraspire QX7's -a revelation

I'm Steve.

Default Quadraspire QX7's -a revelation

For the last few years, I've struggled to make my Linn active (two klouts) Tukans sound reasonable. In fact of late I've listened to my system more and more through headphones, resigned to waiting until demands on funds allowed me to replace with Sonus Faber or something.
    All that changed this week after a visit to Graham and Trevor at the House of Linn, where I came home with a set of Quadraspire QX7 'skeet' Floor protectors.
    They are much much more than that. The spikes of my Linn Kan stands sit on each one as be;ow (at £20 a time).

To say they have changed the sound is such an understatement. I cannot believe the difference. Claity...real bass...detail...more detail...soundstaging etc etc.

On top of all this its been difficult to get my head around the fact that previously the spikes sat on philips screw heads that had been screwed into the floorboards, through the carpet. The stands had been totally rigid and solid as a rock. Now they are not...they just sit on top of the carpet and if fact wobble quite freely...but sound sublime.

Go figure.

A bigger upgrade than I've ever heard before. I had heard a demo of them in the shop which showed the improvements, but with my speakers and stands it was even more dramatic.
    Last edited by Mike; 26-01-2009 at 18:30. Reason: Changed from OX7 to QX7

Good news then!
    It's always good to experiment with such things, because some people believe that rigid coupling is not always the best idea where floorboards are concerned.
    I was once told that spikes are best with solid floors, and that compliant spongy types work best with suspended floors.

Probably not a rule of thumb, but you never know.

I'm using compliant spongy plinths under my speakers on a concrete floor. Suspended floors are already fairly compliant so just going on theories I'd say the opposite was true.

I'm Peter.

is OX7 the real name for these ?
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm InSpace.

I reckon its 'QX7'... http://www.hifigear.co.uk/site/scrip...ategory_id=339

Edited accourdingly...
    Last edited by Mike; 26-01-2009 at 18:31.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

QX7. I also use acrylic QX "Silencers." They can be placed under kit just like with Still Points or Black Ravioli or used as cable lifts under mains or speaker cables. Reduction of microphony always has the potential to be beneficial to overall system performance.

I'm Steve.

Ah yes...QX 7's

Anyway...Bit expensive at £160 for the set of 8...but in the context of what they actually do are a bargain.

I'm told that the disk of steel/metal that the spike sits in is isolated from the rest of the 'skeet' with some kind of compound.
    Last edited by SteveW; 26-01-2009 at 20:46.

I'm Steve.

I'm told that the disk of steel/metal that the spike sits in is isolated from the rest of the 'skeet' with some kind of compound.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    On top of all this its been difficult to get my head around the fact that previously the spikes sat on philips screw heads that had been screwed into the floorboards, through the carpet.
    I've tried the screws into floorboards idea a number of times (on different speakers in different rooms) and don't like the effect it gives. I think it encourages a hard, flat sound - peaky and without depth to timbre. I personally find that speakers sound much better if just spiked very firmly to the floorboards.
    Account Deleted

I'm Steve.

you might well be right Mark.
    I'm not an engineer..but I'm still trying to think about why these should work so well. I've always thought , and had explained to me, that if the cabinet was kept perfectly still and rigid then this allowed the drivers to 'shift' more air, hence sound more accurate.
    However...I'm now wondering if the Quadraspires actually do this but at the same time stopping any energy being sort of dissipated into the ground. (hey...I did say I wasn't an engineer ). Perhaps this is also what the effect Mana stands have??.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast