+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hum from Rega Dac

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I have had a Rega DAC for sometime now (just over a year I think), I have never had any humming noise coming from the unit. As Dave says, I would refer this back to the dealer.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    I have mine (and the Brio R) plugged into a Tacima mains conditioner.
    I have mine into a Tacima mains conditioner too. I suspect that it's most likely a higher than average voltage from the mains. Lightbulbs don't seem to last very long in the house, which has often made me think that they're being supplied with too much voltage.

Can't say I've noticed a transformer hum from any other equipment plugged into the same outlet. No noise from my Cyrus amp which has been supplied from the same socket for the last 10 years.

I'll probably give the dealer a call first chance I get, just to see what they say. Like I said before, it's absolutely not an issue in terms of everyday use, since I can't hear it unless I go right over and lean close to it. As long as it's not a sign that it's likely to up in a puff of smoke, I'm not really bothered enough to want to send it back.

I'm Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Giubanix View Post
    Like I said before, it's absolutely not an issue in terms of everyday use, since I can't hear it unless I go right over and lean close to it. As long as it's not a sign that it's likely to up in a puff of smoke, I'm not really bothered enough to want to send it back.
    Those were exactly my thoughts on the matter.

I'm Clive.

It is most likely simply a noisy transformer which can be replaced by Rega with a better example of the same transformer. It could also be dirty mains (possibly DC on the mains). Try the DAC on someone else's mains, somewhere at least a few miles away from your home.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Dave.

All the Rega electronice I have had through my hands has been quiet - but - it depends on the quality of the mains, your environment and how a little hum affects you.

For instance - equipment I thought was quiet when in my last shop, now appears to be a bit noisy. This is because we were on a High Street but we are now out in the sticks where it is deathly quiet. Any small noise is far more apparent.

Another thing is that you have heard the noise and are now listening for it.

Best bet is to take your DAC back to the dealer and compare it with their demo model and/or borrow their's and use it at home. Then you will know for certain.

I'm Ian.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12