+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BBC Equipment Sell Off

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Preco F500 for £330 after fees etc! I've seen the higher model F1000 sell for £100 on eBay from a dealer.... daft.

I'll stop posting now.

I'm Stewart.

I rest my case - your points are entirely fair Nat but seeing these silly prices people are just going daft - honestly the bulk of this stuff has absolutely negligable commercial value now especially the editing systems and hardware players - we have these things called computers now which is why the majority of this equipment has absolutely no use in production chains anymore.
    Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodgesound View Post
    I rest my case - your points are entirely fair Nat but seeing these silly prices people are just going daft - honestly the bulk of this stuff has absolutely negligable commercial value now especially the editing systems and hardware players - we have these things called computers now which is why the majority of this equipment has absolutely no use in production chains anymore.
    I thought your case was that it was lots of greedy people buying to sell for profit?

EMT 950 just sold for £4950 x 1.386 = £6860! Hahaha untested, abused BBC machine for £6860.. some stupid or naive people out there that's all.

I don't see that they are greedy though in any way. Look at the winners and they rarely are the same people winning. Lots of individuals buying single lots on the whole.

There is possiblilty of profit in the Studer D730s as they CAN sell for close to £2k if you wait long enough for a buyer. They've been going for about £1100 total but it's a long winded way of making that £8-900 profit that does tie up your funds (unless you have a lot of funds free and it doesn't worry you). Also with the RL906 actives - hard to sell but can sell for £1200 or so, at least on ebay.de.

Just more long winded that simply finding everyday bargains on ebay in the first place.

As regards to stuff being obsolete - in technology terms that's true regarding computers etc. but in terms of running a studio but you don't want everything relying on that PC, a single point of failure for the whole thing! That's why CD players and hardware players are still a good idea IMHO.

The desks are still all good and will provide many 10s of years of good service yet in either home studios or whatever. Small commuity radio stations will want such things too. In fact, the desks with in built consols look to be some of the best buys in the auction, probably because of the space needed to take them away..

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I have it on very good authority that some small studios using computers only may be having a tough time of it. One such, who got rid of all their analogue stuff, have branched back into preparing analogue masters from digital originals for vinyl cutting. Theyre up to the necks in work I'm told and yet a couple of years ago, they were on the verge of closing... maybe a lot of this analogue stuff may have a fresh and genuine use again...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Stewart.

I agree about the desks etc. entirely. As regards running a studio unless you are backed with corporate money or are a "named" studio there is almost no money in it now - you can only offer services for free realistically as no client will spend money on anything now in a small operation.

I stand by what I originally said - these prices were being artificially inflated as they are uniformly (and suspiciously) much too high on the technical equipment.

I used to be involved in redundant equipment disposal years ago when prices were a little more realistic.
    Stewart.

I'm Stewart.

Regarding analogue mastering you are completely right but you need very high end machines now that are well maintained to do that kind of work - it's also a way over-saturated market now with artists only willing to pay around 150-200 pounds for a master tape.
    Stewart.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Ok. I agree about the prices. ten years ago the stuff worshipped on here was being chucked into landfill when it went wrong and our fantastic engineer who loved working on and building valve gear left the industry and is now probably retired and glad to be out of it I suspect.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

And Stewart, I take it all back and eat my hat!

Look what I've found on eBay now:

Ex BBC July 2012 " EMT 948 Turntable with 949 Arm, BBC Serviced & Maintained

Yes, our friend from Hart Audio trying to get people to buy a lesser EMT 948 for £6,000, a high EMT 950 price ! A-hahaha. Probably not even picked it up yet and using the BBC auction photos..

He bought this: http://www.ppauctions.com/lot_closed...e=1&account=no. At £4200 after fees etc no wonder he's trying to get his money back AND make profit on the much too high price he paid..

Same guy who picked up some bronze speaker cabinets for £500, bunged some drivers in and asked £10,000 for them within several weeks. (See the Thread: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showp...95&postcount=1)

So yes, some greedy (part crazy, surely?) people did buy afterall..
    Last edited by nat8808; 29-07-2012 at 21:34.

For any wanting to look at the results of the SECOND auction during the week, here's another link you can use:

http://www.ppauctions.com/lot_closed...e=1&account=no

Change the number 21661 in the url to go through the lots (there is some anomaly in that 21660 gives lot 3892 and 21661 is lot 2001 (where it starts)).

I missed an Apogee AD1000 for £80 after fees which is a shame, though it was missing the power supply. Would have been fun to modify etc..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234