+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Closed back headphone recommendations

I'm colin.

Thanks andy but I bought the denons on Sunday from hmv. I think the Akg build would have been better, no way could you use the denons on the street, they easily fall of your head. The bass sounds a bit flabby too but I haven't tested with the FIiO yet . That may tighten it up. On holiday at the moment and left the phones at home as they are to big for the suitcase. Good news is they are a pleasurable listen with no nasty distortion and no sign of the reassessed mids I read about. Punchy drums and nice presentation with voices. very happy
    Nice birthday present ( 47 today ).
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

I'm colin.

Testing them with the FiiO amp this evening. These headphones are lovely.
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Your previous post had me worried for a moment but I'm pleased they're hitting the spot

Pete

I'm colin.

Getting used to the bass now. Found it strange at first deep but little extension if that makes sense. I have never heard phones with this much clarity and they have a lot of life to them. Im getting this strange cross channel thing every so often that sounds like the effect you get when you have the headphone plug out half way and not fully home in the socket. Im guessing its the amp rather than the phones. Tried tugging the wires on the cups and no loss of signal.
    I have heard quality control issues on the E17. Plus im using a optical splitter so i can use an input to the hifi and the Headphone amp from the same source so it could be faulty.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    Im getting this strange cross channel thing every so often that sounds like the effect you get when you have the headphone plug out half way and not fully home in the socket.
    That's the result of idiot mixing engineers who forgot that some people might listen to music on headphones. You don't notice it with speakers because each ear hears both speakers. With headphones you have total channel separation so if a sound comes only from one side it sounds unnatural as the other ear can't hear it.

Some headphone amps have a feature called crossfeed to lessen this effect. There are two or three crossfeed DSP filters for foobar. I use one for recordings that annoy in this way but I don't leave it in all the time as it does affect the frequency response and also the clarity.
    Last edited by technobear; 17-07-2012 at 08:14.
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm colin.

Quote Originally Posted by technobear View Post
    That's the result of idiot mixing engineers who forgot that some people might listen to music on headphones. You don't notice it with speakers because each ear hears both speakers. With headphones you have total channel separation so if a sound comes only from one side it sounds unnatural as the other ear can't hear it.

Some headphone amps have a feature called crossfed to lessen this effect. There are two or three crossfeed DSP filters for foobar. I use one for recordings that annoy in this way but I don't leave it in all the time as it does affect the frequency response and also the clarity.
    Crikey. Never heard that before. And that was playing a remaster of Simple Minds new gold dream.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Crown IC150's "Panorama" control does just this and can be invaluable for just this aspect. Multi-mono mixed sounds panned hard over to one side can sound incredibly strange and some "bleed through" can help.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    Crikey. Never heard that before. And that was playing a remaster of Simple Minds new gold dream.
    Ah! Another simple minds fan. Clearly a man of impeccable musical taste. Did you see them in concert last year? Fantastic!
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm colin.

Missed it unfortunately but im enjoying looking back on their legacy after buying the X5 boxset. Great musicians and perfect hybrid of rock and dance. Pity they went all "Breakfast Club".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123