+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New cartridge is looming...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

You tell him, Blake!

From your first link, I agree with this wholeheartedly as it it's exactly what my experience has borne out and why I now use a DL-103SA:

They had found out that the weakest part of the otherwise phenomenal DL 103 was the thin plastic body.
    That looks like a very sexy solution! Note the use of the words "otherwise phenomenal", too

The vastly improved body shell is one of the reasons (it's not the only one) why the 'SA' version of the 103 raises the bar and takes performance to another level. I personally don't feel that 'nuding' alone is the full answer (and it looks horrible) - the shell should be replaced with something better damped and less resonant.

The key thing to remember about the 103 is that it's about as far away from 'plug & play' as you can get, and also that it's next to useless with 99% of modern tonearms - the Jelco SA-750D being the exception to the rule, and even that needs a much heavier headshell than the one supplied as standard.

Quite simply, completely different rules apply than is the norm these days with this classic gem, but if you apply them successfully then the sonic rewards are substantial.

Marco.

P.S I'll answer your post on the other thread later
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    ...you might want to consider this for 100 Euros:

http://www.theanalogdept.com/images/.../Bodies3-1.pdf

You'll need to do a little surgery as outlined here:

http://www.thomas-schick.com/Denon103.htm

and the cartridge will be significantly improved. Improved to the point that others have replaced cartridges like Shelter 901, Koetsu Rosewood and Benz Ebony L with it.

As I said, I'm new to the forum so I apologise if this info has already been posted in earlier threads. But at the price if you've already got the 103R I would suggest to you that it's a no brainer.
    Oh yes a lump of 2x4 wood on the end of my Hadcock Now that's gonna hurt....oooer missus

There are reasons I use and love the KB..... the DL103 is one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    The key thing to remember about the 103 is that it's about as far away from 'plug & play' as you can get, and also that it's next to useless with 99% of modern tonearms - the Jelco SA-750D being the exception to the rule, and even that needs a much heavier headshell than the one supplied as standard.

Quite simply, completely different rules apply than is the norm these days with this classic gem, but if you apply them successfully then the sonic rewards are substantial.
    Yep!
    Last edited by NRG; 15-01-2009 at 19:40.

Why have you got one, though, Neil if you don't like it?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neal.

It's my old review one...and it's not that I don't like it...it just needs so much other stuff and system change necessary to get it going that I stick to the KB...which I prefer the tone of anyway....

Ah, so it was a freebie or a 'cheapie'? The perks of reviewers, eh?

I understand exactly what you mean, though - I've been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt!

Btw, I was wondering how you got into doing reviews for HFW - do you have a journalistic background or how else did you get into it? I haven't seen you do many other reviews since. How did you get the job for reviewing the 103?

Just curious!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Oh yes a lump of 2x4 wood on the end of my Hadcock Now that's gonna hurt....oooer missus

There are reasons I use and love the KB..... the DL103 is one of them!

Yep!
    Alas, if I'd known you were working with a Hadcock, I would not have made the recommendation. Not a good match with the 103 derivatives.

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You tell him, Blake!

From your first link, I agree with this wholeheartedly as it it's exactly what my experience has borne out and why I now use a DL-103SA:

That looks like a very sexy solution! Note the use of the words "otherwise phenomenal", too

The vastly improved body shell is one of the reasons (it's not the only one) why the 'SA' version of the 103 raises the bar and takes performance to another level. I personally don't feel that 'nuding' alone is the full answer (and it looks horrible) - the shell should be replaced with something better damped and less resonant.

Marco.

P.S I'll answer your post on the other thread later
    Yes, I'm not convinced that nude (usually mounted to a brass plate) or even the Zu approach with an aluminum body is the way to go. I've been using 103R's in a couple of Uwe's bodies for a few years now, initially in one of his first generation ebony bodies and most recently in the newer version in Clavellin.

In reading between the lines about others experience with the Zu or a nuded 103/103R on a metal mounting plate I get the impression that those models probably do "detail" a bit better, but I'm not convinced that it's realistic detail as opposed to a more hi-fi-ish presentation akin to using hard metal footers or cones under a CD player. More detail in many cases, but in just as many cases a more etched/hyped presentation. It's all subjective, of course, but I've found that I just don't enjoy listening long term to that type of presentation.

The wood bodies do have slightly different character-I would say that the ebony is a little "rounder" than the Clavellin, but they are more alike than different when comparing both of those versions to the standard 103R in a plastic body. When you combine the heavier wood body (and its reasonance characteristics) with stainless mounting screws (as opposed to the lightweight aluminum sourced with the Denons) you also tend to push the mass up at the same time giving you a double whammy in terms of performance.

But, clearly, you have to have the right kind of arm.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Does the Hadcock still need glueing back up after the slightest re-adjustment?

Oh, those were the days - NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christmas Eve, Thorens with Hadcock to set up for Christmas. Didn't surface before five PM, by which time all the Christmas goodies had been eaten and drunk. I was NOT amused!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Hugo.

I am in pretty much the same position as NRG, having a long-in-the-tooth Kontrapunkt B in a Technoarm on an old Kenwood KD-770D direct drive deck. So, today I ordered an Ortofon 2M Black from Alastair at Signals, hoping that it will have most of the delicacy of the KB, but maybe with more oomph. If anyone is interested, I'll post some impressions once it's settled in.

Please do. I would find that most interesting

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast