+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Connoisseur BD1 turntable.

I'm Geoff.

I agree. The tinkering is half the fun. A lot of my gear has been modified by me or self built in the past. I love making speakers and turntable systems.

I'm Nobody.

Get this then:
    Put this unit in a proper surround (Which i have), according to my Ears, sounds better than my Garrard '401', Goldring/Lenco 'GL75', Thorens 'TD150'..People who slate these Connies, they have something radically wrong with their tab holes!!
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 21-07-2012 at 23:36. Reason: Spelling

MartinT Guest

The BD1 was a great deck, Andr'e, but I never rated the arm much.

I'm Nobody.

Andr'e! No personal stuuf please i ant intrested

Who mentioned the arm?
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 21-07-2012 at 23:46.

I'm Geoff.

Martin is right,

the SAU2 arm is not great. It can't even keep the cartridge vertical across the record due to the diagonal gimbal bearings, as it goes from the outer gooves to the inner, it tilts the stylus from one side to the other, not good!

The BD1 however, is a good little unit. I had one running alongside my Garrard 401, both decks with similar arms on and they both sounded great. The Garrard is a bit tighter and weightier, but the Connoiseur is vibrant and musical. It was an absolute bargain in it's day.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If the motor can be sorted and drive belts got, a decent full size mat/record support may well make all the difference. By now, the main bearings should be fine and not worn out - more polished in I hope
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Geoff.

I have tried the BD1 with plastic and glass full width mats and not heard any improvement.

From my experience (and I've had about ten BD1s) the 10" platter and mat are not a compromise and the best combination is the old mat with the concentric ribbing, topped with a thin felt mat cut down to size.

The later BD1 mat with the radial ribs is ok, I just find the older one best.

I'm Shane.

Interesting to note the comparisons with the Garrard. The Connoisseur motor is a fairly substantial device, and I suspect is a good bit more powerful than the Linn/Rega/Airpax/Premotec. I've always thought high motor torque is a major part of what makes idlers (and the better DDs) sound good, so maybe there's something in it.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Geoff.

Just found this tucked away in my stockpile of goodies, so I've resurrected this thread.

I thought I had another one knocking about, sold two others off last year.

It needs fettling, the motor suspension has disintegrated, easy to fix, the main bearing is nice and tight and I just happen to have a lift off acrylic lid the right size for a completed TT.

I also have a box of spares including belts, motors and a brand new main bearing, so it seems another project may be starting shortly. Not that I need another TT, but it'll be fun.

Anybody got a cheap pickup arm?

MartinT Guest

Gosh, memories. My first proper turntable, that was.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast