+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Connoisseur BD1 turntable.

I'm Nobody.

Ive seen a few mods over the years, i did a thread a bit back where i used three 'O' Rings but i can't find it, i tried a few different diameters but forget which, you can still buy the cradles/webs if you prefer original!

http://www.signalsuk.co.uk/signals_s...d&productId=56

I'm Geoff.

I stopped using the standard arrangement of elastic bands and went to neoprene bands instead, it worked well and lasted about five years before replacing as opposed to the 18 months of the elastic bands. Another advantage was the high self damping of neoprene, none of the springy bobbing about of the motor that the elastic gave.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nobody.

The good thing about the 'O' ring arrangement is you can buy a box full for next to nothing

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    You will always get people slating the 'BD-1' ...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

MartinT Guest

I do like your avatar, Adam, it made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it

I'm Richie.

Default Hello! A connoisseur has been found - help and advice?

Hello!

Thought I would add to this thread as I have also found a Connoisseur BD1 with a non-notched pulley. It was my Dad's when he was 17. It is fitted with an SME iii S tone arm and a Shure V35 HE cartridge and stylus.

When it was found in the attic it was covered in dust and grime which I have cleaned off. The motor had fallen off the bottom and the motor to turntable drive belt was broken and perished.

I have remounted the motor using a some rubber elastic bands. My Dad said he did that when the original mounting perished and it seems this is a trick suggested earlier in this thread. I also obtained a replacement turntable belt from ebay for £14.

I have now got it going of sorts. I have tested the deck using a 1961 Decca test LP and clearly the stylus needs replacement according to my Dad! I am from the digital era so this is a bit new to me.

The BD1 is mounted on a wood plinth and my Dad ( a retired electronics engineer) made his own phono pre amp which is mounted in a tin under the plinth.

I am not sure what the belt from ebay is made from. It is like a shiny plasticy materiel. It is also vibrating like a plucked rubber band when it leaves the groove on the platter goes round the motor pulley and joins the platter groove again.

This is despite the fact the motor, pully and spindle is not vibrating. If you remove the belt and touch the motor there is no vibration. Place the ebay belt on and the vibration starts. This is causing a slight background hum in the speakers. My Dad checked the deck today and said I have mounted the motor well and it is not touching the casing and gave encouragement.

I am now pondering if the belt were made of rubber if this would stop. The feel of this belt does not seem "right". When I pull it through my fingers it seems to squeak - or vibrate - perhaps what is happening on the record deck. The pulley also skids and vibrates when the motor starts then calms down and runs at good speed.

Thinking this may be an issue I cobbled together a rubber belt made by joining elastic bands and while this would not stay on for long and was experimental the vibration in the belt where it comes of the turntable, round the pulley and back onto the turntable seemed to disappear.

Can anyone advise if a rubber belt is available or does anyone have any work arounds? Perhaps the belt I purchased from ebay is no good but it said suitable for the BD1/2 but was made in a motor industry belt manufacturer.

I would quite like to get this going well - for sentimental purposes to be honest and I have some records I would like to play.

Do you think the ebay belt materiel is problematic?

Best Wishes....

I'm malcolm.

Try thoroughly cleaning the motor pulley and platter with isopropyl alcohol, or methylated spirits, then clean and lightly dust the belt with talcum powder before refitting.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Geoff.

The original BD1 (BD2) belts were ground finish rubber. I'm assuming you are using a new replacement belt? If so, they are made from Neoprene and a bit less resilient. I've found that gently stretching them a few times makes them run round the motor pulley more smoothly.

Also, there should be a small metal hook on the underside of the top plate in front of the motor. A short rubber band is supposed to go from this to the corresponding plastic hook on the motor. This stabilises the motor and prevents the pulley from being pulled too far forward by the belt tension. In my case, I've used neoprene 'O' rings, as they last longer.

A tip. Don't use thin oil in the main platter bearing, it'll wear out. A drop of car engine oil or even better, gearbox oil is best. There are no sintered parts in the bearing so any additives will not cause problems.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richie.

Hello walpurgis,

I am so glad you have come back to this thread.

Yes I think this materiel of the cheap ebay belt is Neoprene. I have used rubber stationery bands to suspend the motor. My dad tole me that is how he always repaired it.

I have come a long way with it so far having cleaned it up, removed the scratches from the lid and polished it on a polishing machine.

Today my dad came round to help me with this humming problem and said he could never remember one and would not have put up with it being an audiophile. We then found this neoprene belt resonating and he said the belt he had never did that.

In fact what I can say is I have rotated the tunrtable with no power and the belt is vibrating with no motor on - so I am pretty sure it is not caused by the motor. Perhaps somehow it becomes twanged when it leaves the turntable groove to go round the pully.

The player looks smart actually. It is set in a 1.6mm deep wood effect MDF and has tall rubberised feet. underneath is a home made phono preamp that works from a power output he had on another home made amplifier but he said this could be convetrted to battery or perhaps power pack but I have a NAD PP4 phono preamp.

I was going to go and buy a turntable and then we looked in dads loft and found his old one and a whole treasure trove of viny from his teens inclusing Rolling Stones, Beatles, Shadows all in meticulous condition. Then of course the BD1 and I said I wonder if I could get it going. He said he had looked for a belt some years ago but couldn't get one..... So then the BD1 met 2017 internet and I got one. My dad was nearly moved to tears when he saw it going yesterday so I am keen to get these niggles sorted.

I wouldn't mind perhaps remounting it a nice Danish Oiled 3.5mm thick Oak block and change the tarnished screws for some brass ones.

With regards to the tone arm my Dad remembered he had a SME series 2 loafing somewhere in the Shed and he found it out for me in case it could be needed.

Clearly the stylus needs replacing from the sound produced on the test LP but we weighed its force and it was 1.4g

I'm Geoff.

The motor pulley is a friction fit on the motor spindle and can be moved up and down to find the optimal position. That should help with even running.

Is the steel top plate of the BD1 earthed to the SME arm? If not run an extra wire from the earth wire tag on the motor, to the arm. That may cure the hum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast