+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Connoisseur BD1 turntable.

I'm Geoff.

I'd forgotten how old this thread was. I started it over five years ago.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richie.

Geoff,

I am going to try and upload some photos for you to see. I am just familiarising myself with the workings of this forum
    My System: NAD C340, NAD PP4 Phono Stage, Sony CDP 101, Linn Majik 109 Speakers, Chord Chameleon Connectors, Chord Rumour Speaker Cable

I'm Richie.

Hi Geoff,

Here are some photos of the BD1 top and the underside. I have taken the lid off the home made pre-amp so you can see inside. It is in fact an old tobacco tin!

My System: NAD C340, NAD PP4 Phono Stage, Sony CDP 101, Linn Majik 109 Speakers, Chord Chameleon Connectors, Chord Rumour Speaker Cable

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by connoisseur_sme View Post
    Hi Geoff,

Here are some photos of the BD1 top and the underside. I have taken the lid off the home made pre-amp so you can see inside. It is in fact an old tobacco tin!

Jez Arkless would approve!
    Barry

I'm Richie.

Not sure if that is a compliment. Who is Jez Arkless?

My Dad was an apprentice at the time working in the television and wireless repair industry. So he had not much money but he and his mates were into their audio and had to make things because to buy was too costly when you are earning buttons. I think it's a good effort. How many younguns are doing things like this today when they actually tear themselves away from XBOX online.
    Last edited by connoisseur_sme; 30-09-2017 at 12:26.

I'm Richie.

Geoff,

These are the test records I have used to see how well the deck works. The tests on here are quite severe and demanding. One record has an area to test anti skate etc.

I'm Geoff.

Do yourself a favour and ignore the test records. You don't need them to set the turntable and arm up. If anything, the results from test records can lead you up the garden path!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richie.

I can't see an earth directly from the metal top plate to the tone arm ground. The under side of the main metal part is painted black but there is no cable direct from that to the tone arm. There is a cable from a screw on the motor to the earth - its a black coily cable.

I can't really be too far off getting this running. New cartridge or stylus is needed - could you maybe suggest a suitable one? Once that is replaced and the hum from the belt vibration is sorted it is all go I think.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by connoisseur_sme View Post
    I can't see an earth directly from the metal top plate to the tone arm ground. The under side of the main metal part is painted black but there is no cable direct from that to the tone arm. There is a cable from a screw on the motor to the earth - its a black coily cable.

I can't really be too far off getting this running. New cartridge or stylus is needed - could you maybe suggest a suitable one? Once that is replaced and the hum from the belt vibration is sorted it is all go I think.
    There's a wire running from the terminal block to the arm. I assume that's the earth. it looks as though the motor is earthed there too. The bolt through the terminal block earths to the chassis/top plate. You may wish to ensure this bolt is making proper metal to metal contact with the top plate. Just undo it and clean the surfaces if needed.

If you still get hum, try disconnecting the earth to the arm and see if that does anything. Turntable earthing can be a funny business.

You have three options really as far as cartridges are concerned. A new stylus, if you can source a decent one. Or a new cheap cartridge just to get everything running, or something dearer to use long term.

I'm Geoff.

I've had many Connoisseur turntables, but I've never used an SME III, I do know that it has a composite headshell. That will isolate the cartridge body and some cartridges need earthing to the arm. There may be an earth in the headshell for this. Other members may have info on this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast